Thread: My 1st PTS test!! Please help me a little!

Default My 1st PTS test!! Please help me a little!

Hi guys,
    this is the first time I'm running pts so I have a simple question that I wasn't able to find the answer to yet.
    I want to test my new ssd under different partitions/filesystems that I have created.
    How do I run a particular test just for a specific device?
    Is it a matter of adding the device after the pts command? I.e.
    Code:
    phoronix-test-suite benchmark pts/fs-mark /dev/sda1
    I tried running phoronix-test-suite benchmark pts/fs-mark with no options specified and it never asked me which one I wanted benchmarked. Also when I tried phoronix-test-suite benchmark pts/fs-mark /dev/sda1 nowhere did it confirm that indeed the test was run on /dev/sda1 and not on the system partition for example

thank you for the help and keep up the amazing work that you do here!!

anestis

Right now the best way to change the location to test on your disk is by modifying ~/.phoronix-test-suite/user-config.xml and changing the installed test location from ~/.phoronix-test-suite/installed-tests/ to whatever location you desire. That way it will universally change for all tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Right now the best way to change the location to test on your disk is by modifying ~/.phoronix-test-suite/user-config.xml and changing the installed test location from ~/.phoronix-test-suite/installed-tests/ to whatever location you desire. That way it will universally change for all tests.
    My first pts question and I get a reply from Mr. phoronix himself! I feel honored! hehe! I first read about you when you did the interview for the ubuntistas

So.. I checked the user-config.xml file

and I'm not quite sure which value to change?

I'm seeing:

Code:
        <Installation>
          <RemoveDownloadFiles>FALSE</RemoveDownloadFiles>
          <SearchMediaForCache>TRUE</SearchMediaForCache>
          <SymLinkFilesFromCache>FALSE</SymLinkFilesFromCache>
          <PromptForDownloadMirror>FALSE</PromptForDownloadMirror>
          <EnvironmentDirectory>~/.phoronix-test-suite/installed-tests/</EnvironmentDirectory>
          <CacheDirectory>~/.phoronix-test-suite/download-cache/</CacheDirectory>
        </Installation>
    is it the environment directory that I should change ?
    If that is it, do I just change that to another partition and then it picks it up right away if I re-run the fs-mark test

thank you,

anestis

Quote Originally Posted by latebeat View Post
    My first pts question and I get a reply from Mr. phoronix himself! I feel honored! hehe! I first read about you when you did the interview for the ubuntistas

So.. I checked the user-config.xml file

and I'm not quite sure which value to change?

I'm seeing:

Code:
        <Installation>
          <RemoveDownloadFiles>FALSE</RemoveDownloadFiles>
          <SearchMediaForCache>TRUE</SearchMediaForCache>
          <SymLinkFilesFromCache>FALSE</SymLinkFilesFromCache>
          <PromptForDownloadMirror>FALSE</PromptForDownloadMirror>
          <EnvironmentDirectory>~/.phoronix-test-suite/installed-tests/</EnvironmentDirectory>
          <CacheDirectory>~/.phoronix-test-suite/download-cache/</CacheDirectory>
        </Installation>
    is it the environment directory that I should change ?
    If that is it, do I just change that to another partition and then it picks it up right away if I re-run the fs-mark test

thank you,

anestis
    Right, it's the EnvironmentDirectory tag that you can change to point to any location. If you don't want to redownload things, first run phoronix-test-suite make-download-cache before changing the location.