Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 225

Thread: AMD Catalyst 8.01 Linux Driver

  1. #201
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by knutbert View Post
    50 FPS sounds like disabled hardware 3D support.
    What error messages are you getting?

    Cheers,
    knutbert
    -glxinfo: direct rendering: Yes

    -fglrxinfo
    display: :0.0 screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon X1400
    OpenGL version string: 2.1.7276 Release

    -grep "(EE" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    none (only the line that explains that (EE) is an error, (WW) is a warning...)

    -grep "(WW" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    (WW) fglrx(0): board is an unknown third party board, chipset is supported
    (WW) fglrx(0): Only one display is connnected,so single mode is enabled
    (WW) fglrx(0): could not detect X server version (query_status=-3)
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23
    ...
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x72

    Any other log to see (or test to execute)?
    Osado

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osado View Post
    -glxinfo: direct rendering: Yes

    -fglrxinfo
    display: :0.0 screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon X1400
    OpenGL version string: 2.1.7276 Release

    -grep "(EE" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    none (only the line that explains that (EE) is an error, (WW) is a warning...)

    -grep "(WW" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    (WW) fglrx(0): board is an unknown third party board, chipset is supported
    (WW) fglrx(0): Only one display is connnected,so single mode is enabled
    (WW) fglrx(0): could not detect X server version (query_status=-3)
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23
    ...
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x72

    Any other log to see (or test to execute)?
    Osado
    Check whether you have set "Vertical Refresh" in amdcccle to some value on the right side, like "Quality". This is actually a good thing to reduce tearing during video playback, but it also reduces the fps to the refresh rate of your monitor (usually 60).

  3. #203
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Wow!

    You were right. I don't remember if I did some change before, but the Vertical Refresh was enabled (closer to Quality, instead of Performance). Disabling it, glxgears now states around 2420 FPS.

    Thank you very, very much, Christian_L! Things go better now.

    Osado
    Last edited by Osado; 01-24-2008 at 09:55 AM.

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osado View Post
    Wow!

    You were right. I don't remember if I did some change before, but the Vertical Refresh was enabled (closer to Quality, instead of Performance). Disabling it, glxgears now states around 2420 FPS.

    Thank you very, very much, Christian_L! Things go better now.

    Osado
    Glad I could help.

  5. #205
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    25

    Default

    This is reference to my problem...aka logout is f****d.
    see starting day of this bug and still it exist.
    http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=239
    Come on ati.

    ps. that workaround doesn't help. blac/nk screen after logout/switchuser/shutdown.

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1

    Default Memory leaks in fglrx 8.1

    Dear boarders,
    I'm experiencing memory leaks even with latest driver from ATI. My workstation keeps increasing memory consumption to the point that it becomes unstable at end of the day becouse it is out of memory.

    The problem develops much faster when usin WINE: almost 1 MB per minute!

    Otherwise the driver is fine, Dual display 1650X1050 & 1440x900 works, 3D, video, Compiz (I do not use it).

    Somebody else has this problem?

    My config is: Ubuntu 7.10 amd64, kernel 2.6.22-14 generic, Athlon 4800 64X2 , 2GB ram, chipset nForce570, Ati HD2400pro

  7. #207
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Don't know, whether I should post this issue to the other thread, since it touches not only 8.45 version of the driver, but anyway.

    The problem is, after ATI added AIGLX support, my pc keeps hanging while executing any 3d application. Under "any" I mean any application which uses opengl instructions, whether it is a simple glxgears or a game full of shaders. I tried to disable AIGLX but this didn't help. Also I tried to disable VideoOverlay but this didn't help either.

    I noticed, that when the kernel hangs, I stops responding on any event except Alt+SysRq+B. And sometimes, after pressing that, the pc wakes up for a millisecond before immidiate reboot. Music starts playing, the pointer moves and so on. So, I think that only GPU hangs, not CPU. I heard there is a feature called VPURecovery on windows, which might be helpfull in this situation. Has ATI any plans on providing this feature to us?

    My pc : Ubuntu 7.10, Radeon 9600XT, Athlon 1800xp, VIA KT400 motherboard.

  8. #208
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    52

    Default

    just pulled it in through livna updates, and STILL can't use 1400x1050.
    what a bloody disaster this driver is, reverting back to vesa....
    I'm getting soooo tired of this

    I see in the logs that it does detect the 1400x1050 panel but somehow doesn't set the resolution. This smells just like the same bug that radeonhd had a while ago. They solved it in mere days, so AMD, please send an e-mail to these developers and ask them how to solve it, they know how!

  9. #209
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    DG, IL, USA
    Posts
    215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mal13 View Post
    This is reference to my problem...aka logout is f****d.
    see starting day of this bug and still it exist.
    http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=239
    Come on ati.

    ps. that workaround doesn't help. blac/nk screen after logout/switchuser/shutdown.
    If you use grub you could try editing the menu.lst.
    Look for splash=silent and change it to splash=verbose

    Downside is you don't have a fancy bootsplash but it no longer hangs when logging out of KDE/Gnome..been using this since Mandriva 2007.1 with fglrx 8.38..
    Works fine in Mandriva 2008 with the last 5 versions of fglrx..
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    Ben Franklin 1755

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkFoss View Post
    If you use grub you could try editing the menu.lst.
    Look for splash=silent and change it to splash=verbose

    Downside is you don't have a fancy bootsplash but it no longer hangs when logging out of KDE/Gnome..been using this since Mandriva 2007.1 with fglrx 8.38..
    Works fine in Mandriva 2008 with the last 5 versions of fglrx..
    Did try that... no use. Still left w/ nowhere going blac/nk screen.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •