Thread: Linux Support For HDMI CEC Still In Development

Default Linux Support For HDMI CEC Still In Development

Phoronix: Linux Support For HDMI CEC Still In Development

A brief status report was shared concerning supporting the Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) feature of HDMI under Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIwMTk

HDMI CEC sounds good, but i would like to know which device. The only device i know of does not seem to need a driver. But is is a tiny bit too cheap to try it

http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/pro...c-adapter.aspx

Well, every HDMI enabled videocard _should_ in theory have a CEC port. True some (older) cards don't have this, but certainly newer ones do?

The USB CEC device by pulse-eight is just a stopgap imo. Also there's some arduino devices+code for connecting to the CEC port.

So maybe I'm missing something, but what exactly do you mean with 'which device'? If you meant that all hardware needs a kernel driver to supply the CEC bus, then I guess of course so. But once they have settled on the bus description, I'm sure those drivers will pop up quite fast.

Quote Originally Posted by oliver View Post
    Well, every HDMI enabled videocard _should_ in theory have a CEC port. True some (older) cards don't have this, but certainly newer ones do?
    From what I understand, CEC is designed so that it can be handled by a separate controller on standby voltage, and is not "really" part of the HDMI protocol but rather is a separate protocol on the same connector. So I don't think we can assume that there's widespread video card support for it.