Thread: Ubuntu Prompts For Donations When Downloading

Hybrid View

Default Ubuntu Prompts For Donations When Downloading

Phoronix: Ubuntu Prompts For Donations When Downloading

Just a few weeks after Canonical integrated Amazon product results into Unity's Dash in an effort to generate more money through affiliate/referral revenue, they have taken another step today to try to increase their cash flow...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIwMjg

Default Great

I think this is a great idea!

I hated the Amazon thing, but this I like.

I'd be willing to donate too. Especially if your Launchpad account gets a icon that says you payed.

Though, admittedly I feel a bit reluctant after the Amazon ads thing which have made me start to consider ditching Ubuntu in favor of other Linux distributions. Maybe Fedora or Arch?

It is a great idea, but it's a bit too aggressive on the site. You should not have to scroll down and look for the link to just download Ubuntu.

I also feel this is a really good idea, because not only does this get linux funding more attention but it can get canonical to realize what really needs work. This reminds me a lot of how wine gets funded. Unfortunately, it seems like there are a lot of programs that have hundreds, possibly thousands of dollars donated but they haven't been usable in years.

torrent it *smash the state!* haha

Great idea. I already fund Wine dev by renewing my Crossover, help Linux gaming by buying every HIB at a worthy price (and at some point has phoronix premium - had to cancel during some difficulties - I should reinstate it). Always thought being able to directly to Ubuntu would be good.

Default Excludes community and suppliers

I've been blathering on about this kind of thing for a while. But with a crucial difference - just like with Humble Bundle some of the money should go to relevant charities (eg EFF), organizations (eg FSF, Gnome) and to upstream suppliers. And you should be able to do it for your desktop too. Something like "As you use your Ubuntu system, third parties provide referral and similar funding. How would you like it allocated?". Note that already happens today, eg Canonical get all the money when you use Firefox or make music purchases.

But if they really believed in community, and realised that the vast majority of Ubuntu comes from others, then they would kickback to them too. Instead I can't distinguish Canonical's actions from sheer selfish greed.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    I think this is a great idea!

I hated the Amazon thing, but this I like.

I'd be willing to donate too. Especially if your Launchpad account gets a icon that says you payed.

Though, admittedly I feel a bit reluctant after the Amazon ads thing which have made me start to consider ditching Ubuntu in favor of other Linux distributions. Maybe Fedora or Arch?
    If you're like me, you're after something that feels more "by the community, for the community" than the somewhat dictatorial and commercial leadership of Ubuntu.
    I've scanned distros for my Eden and I've settled with Mageia. It's a young project, the organization is still a bit fuzzy but it's shaping up and the base goals and values ensure Mageia a great future. I feel more at home after a couple weeks than I've ever been with Ubuntu. See you there maybe.