Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: E17 Does A Desktop Shootout, The Winner Is....

Hybrid View

Default E17 Does A Desktop Shootout, The Winner Is....

Phoronix: E17 Does A Desktop Shootout, The Winner Is....

The E17 release manager has done a "desktop shootout" where he compares the start-up speed and resource consumption of the KDE Plasma, GNOME Shell, Xfce, Unity, and Unity 2D desktops. He also ended up throwing in E17 and TWM too...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIwMzQ

Wow. Ubuntu really sucks that much? After login into KDE, memory usage on my system is 290MB. What on earth is Ubuntu wasting the additional 1GB memory on?

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Wow. Ubuntu really sucks that much? After login into KDE, memory usage on my system is 290MB. What on earth is Ubuntu wasting the additional 1GB memory on?
    It depends on how much RAM your system has, really.

I'm running on a 4GB RAM system with Arch Linux and KDE (the minimal install) and it eats around 600mb on start.

He has 16GB.

And I bet you have less than 4.

Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Wow. KDEs million crasher bugs doesnt come for free. In order to be so buggy they need to be a ressource hog as well. But is a nice feature it is so slow starting. This is to save battery because it is burning battery power when "idle".

Stopping KDE is halfway stopping global warming.
    I'm sorry, wha?
    I've barely had any issues with KDE, what the fuck are you talking about? Are you running it on a 1 GB laptop and complaining because you can run a full desktop environment?

Once again LXDE is forgotten about, which annoys me considering its pretty much the only TRUE lightweight DE that is still actively maintained.

I know that Fluxbox was really fast when I was using it about a year ago. But it wasn't for me… KDE is much more useful so and that's why it starts 10 seconds longer than E17 (only 10 seconds? I thought I will be about another minute, so I'm positively surprised).

I can only say two things:
    1. a first run is hardly a relevant metric
    2. all DEs have performed in the same ballpark

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Once again LXDE is forgotten about, which annoys me considering its pretty much the only TRUE lightweight DE that is still actively maintained.
    That was going to be my question: what about LXDE? I blink and LXDE starts up. Shutdown is almost instantaneous as well.

The two issues he mentioned against Gnome-Shell have been fixed in 3.6

twm should be installed on every system. It is a nice, clean, simple fallback in case anything goes so wrong you can't start your normal environment. It is simple, runs if X runs and you won't feel cozy. Perfect.

This is a stupid comparison, his boot times seem way off for gnome, kde, and unity. And I think his memory comparisons are also including cached memory, which is a pointless comparison.