Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 259

Thread: Linux Developers Still Reject NVIDIA Using DMA-BUF

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    18

    Default

    First, Linus says "Fuck you, NVidia for not getting Optimus support."

    Second, NVidia says "HEY! We need this interface so we can get you Optimus support. Can you open it up so we don't get screwed by everyone?"

    Third, Alan Cox et al says "Screw you, we ain't budging! No!"

    So what's the whole frigging deal here? Nvidia asked and everyone but Linus said no, yet Linus wants it. Users are listening to Linus. Nvidia is listening to Linus and it's users. The users are demanding both to get it done. But the kernel developers save for Linus aren't listening.

    Plus, look at the future. Nobody will be able to support DMA 3 because it's too balled up in legaleze backed by developers who aren't going to bulge. So who's to blame for this?

    It ain't Linus. And it ain't Nvidia. And soon it won't be AMD nor Intel.

    Alan Cox owes me a new laptop.

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boast View Post
    How about giving people the CHOICE to decide for themselves? Or do you force your views on everyone?

    That's the biggest idiocy i have heard for years. 1)It is not logical to live and act based on faith. 2)We made the community in order to not have to choose if we want to trust. 3)We have the right for security and privacy, is there choice for people to lose their rights? 4)Windows and Mac users are probably stupid, so please don't write on Phoronix, just read.

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by artivision View Post
    That's the biggest idiocy i have heard for years. 1)It is not logical to live and act based on faith. 2)We made the community in order to not have to choose if we want to trust. 3)We have the right for security and privacy, is there choice for people to lose their rights? 4)Windows and Mac users are probably stupid, so please don't write on Phoronix, just read.
    Lol. For a second I thought this was a serious post, but that #4 gave it away.

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    336

    Default

    We made open source for freedom, security, privacy. And you propose to compromise our own ideas and work, because people have the right to choose. You are partially right. If someone don't wont freedom, or security, or privacy, the don't use Linux. Its not right to force your opinion to others "the community to compromise their own ideas and work".

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    336

    Default

    And I am sorry if i was disrespectful.

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    How do we know and trust that the nvidia driver doesn't do something horribly dangerous?
    Yeah, that's the reason why DMABUF isn't getting non-GPL exported. Because of danger.

    I don't care if it's got security vulnerabilities. All software got those, regardless of license. There were more than enough root exploits in the Linux kernel itself over the years. If you care, then don't use it. Don't impose your security pedantry on me.

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Yeah, that's the reason why DMABUF isn't getting non-GPL exported. Because of danger.

    I don't care if it's got security vulnerabilities. All software got those, regardless of license. There were more than enough root exploits in the Linux kernel itself over the years. If you care, then don't use it. Don't impose your security pedantry on me.

    Then use Windows and don't force your opinion to Linux developers. They may have different opinion.

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by artivision View Post
    Then use Windows and don't force your opinion to Linux developers. They may have different opinion.
    Is this how we talk these days? "I have a different opinion, so don't talk to me"?
    I mean, he does have a point: If DMA-BUF is that dangerous it shouldn't be there in the first place. If DMA-BUF can be exploited it will be. But surely not from a company like Nvidia.

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox Uncreated View Post
    Lol, well cry have a heartattack, do some cottaging and kill yourself I guess.
    Qaridarium? is it you? you are back? are you not banned life time?

    I found some funny quotes from you:



    V!NCENT: "maybe Qaridarium saying it, knowing you'd think about it, which resulting in mentioning it, making other people think about something the projectbleader said and finaly resulting in naking it happen... Casualty of nature "
    V!NCENT: "Qaridarium, do you believe in... time travel? "

    d2kx: "You better listen when Qaridarium announces"

    Welsh Dwarf: "Qs psychic abilities never cease to amaze me :P"

    Qaridarium: "Whats wrong with my dices? My cubes told me more than that can be."

    crazycheese:"Q, give me your dices please. Just one roll... "

    found here: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...no-APU-Support

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    What's next? GPLing the mmap() interface and making it illegal to run non-GPL software under Linux? You seriously think that's a good thing?
    Oh please, enough with the strawman. This is the same as always, NVidia wants their proprietary drivers to be able to directly interact with the kernel subsystems to make life easier for them. Now they are using the possibility of optimus support as a carrot to try and leverage ways for them to do so.

    It's their typical BS, the reason Linux has such an incredible amount of hardware support out-of-the-box is because they haven't budged on this issue. One by one hardware companies have seen the advantages of this, or atleast have come to terms with the idea, except NVidia which still holds out. So let them, they will have to reimplement the necessary functionality for optimus support inside their proprietary driver if they want it under Linux.

    Meanwhile fully open source gpgpu solutions from the likes of Intel and to a lesser extent AMD is rendering NVidia obsolete on the desktop for all but those with extreme performance needs so it's not as if this is a problem we'll keep on having in the future.

    NVidia will continue to cater for Linux with their proprietary driver in sectors where Linux is huge or totally dominant like HPC and 3D/SFX while the end user desktop needs will be met by the aforementioned Intel and AMD gpgpu solutions.

    Quote Originally Posted by ryao View Post
    When will we be able to see optimus support on other operating systems like Illumos, Solaris, FreeBSD, Haiku, Darwin, etcetera?
    Good point, here are operating systems which allow proprietary drivers to interact directly with the kernel interface and yet the only chance they will see optimus support is if an open source reverse-engineered driver emerges, like Bumblebee. This again highlights the shortcomings of relying on proprietary drivers, it's simply another form of vendor lock-in.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    What, from a business perspective, does the Linux desktop bring to the table?
    Prior to the announcement of Steam on Linux, nothing for the likes of NVidia. Post-announcement (or pehaps rather post-release), I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •