Thread: AMD Drops Steamroller "bdver3" Compiler Support

Default AMD Drops Steamroller "bdver3" Compiler Support

Phoronix: AMD Drops Steamroller "bdver3" Compiler Support

Second-generation Bulldozer processors only started appearing recently in the form of the Trinity APUs with Piledriver cores. The next Bulldozer-2 wave will come when AMD releases their Piledriver-bearing "Vishera" FX-Series desktop processors. While this hardware has yet to publicly arrive, AMD is are already working on compiler support for their third-generation Bulldozer -- a.k.a. "Steamroller" -- micro-architecture...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIwNDY

Poor choice of wording in the title. When you said "drops" I thought that meant that AMD was so resource-constrained that they had dropped development support on "bdver3" for gcc. Instead "drops" means that they've sent the first patch, already. Pretty much the opposite meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by phred14 View Post
    Poor choice of wording in the title. When you said "drops" I thought that meant that AMD was so resource-constrained that they had dropped development support on "bdver3" for gcc. Instead "drops" means that they've sent the first patch, already. Pretty much the opposite meaning.
    From the title I just understood the opposite to the content of the article. So I wanted to same the same say as you did... but not being English my native language I was not sure about my language skills.

Looking forward for the Vishera benchmarks.
    I'm going to upgrade my PC soon and I need to know if AMD will be a viable option or not.

It would be great to have a look at Vishera-compatible motherboards too, like the new Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z.
    Specially I'd want to see how well Linux interacts with UEFI and the new features like "Fast Boot" (this one being labeled as a Windows 8 feature, which the aforementioned motherboard supports with a hardware switch).

Yea, shouldn't the title say "Drops in" instead of just "Drops"?

I understood the meaning when I saw it but I can understand the confusion. However, I think what got me to not get confused was that I didn't know this existed, so it made more sense to me.

cool, I recognized some of the words used in this article

(the only thing I get from this article is, that I may be buying a AMD CPU in 2013 and a new mainboard...finally)

Anyone else recognize that the big part should be the fact that steamroller has 3 FP units?!? It was one of bulldozers biggest weaknesses having 1 FP unit!

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    Anyone else recognize that the big part should be the fact that steamroller has 3 FP units?!? It was one of bulldozers biggest weaknesses having 1 FP unit!
    AMD bdver1 Scheduling
    +;;
    +;; The bdver1 contains four pipelined FP units, two integer units and
    +;; two address generation units.
    +;;
    +;; The predecode logic is determining boundaries of instructions in the 64
    +;; byte cache line. So the cache line straddling problem of K6 might be issue
    +;; here as well, but it is not noted in the documentation.
    +;;
    +;; Three DirectPath instructions decoders and only one VectorPath decoder
    +;; is available. They can decode three DirectPath instructions or one
    +;; VectorPath instruction per cycle.
    +;;
    +;; The load/store queue unit is not attached to the schedulers but
    +;; communicates with all the execution units separately instead.