Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA 310.14: OpenGL 4.3, Threaded Optimizations

Hybrid View

Default NVIDIA 310.14: OpenGL 4.3, Threaded Optimizations

Phoronix: NVIDIA 310.14: OpenGL 4.3, Threaded Optimizations

NVIDIA pushed out their first Linux graphics driver beta in the 310.xx series on Monday. The NVIDIA 310.14 driver supports OpenGL 4.3, brings threaded OpenGL performance optimizations, and many other new features. The NVIDIA 310.14 Beta for Linux is an exciting release!..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIwNzQ

They see me rollin'.. They hatin'

That's brilliant, actually. It seems this is in-line with http://www.aewi.info/rgl ?

Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    Yawn... bullshit.

Give us specs and then we can talk.

Until now they can't touch DMA-BUF.

Try harder nvidia.

The new driver is no bullshit cause it seems to adress multithreading which is one of the things valve needed for their steam games.
    More games for Linux->linux becomes more popular->More linux users..

But well, i forgot, you don't care about market shares or endusers....

Quote Originally Posted by christian_frank View Post
    The new driver is no bullshit cause it seems to adress multithreading which is one of the things valve needed for their steam games.
    More games for Linux->linux becomes more popular->More linux users..

But well, i forgot, you don't care about market shares or endusers....
    And more users means more power to pressure nvidia for openness and more chances of getting it(Yay!). But some people are to stuck thinking one way only.
    I guess the opensource zealots thing was kinda true in the end.
    Nvidia might be unable to implement Optimus through DMA-BUF though due to legal issues, regardless of zealotry etc.

Glad to see improvements on the driver though.
    Hopefully Catalyst 12.9 will have some good improvements too.

Quote Originally Posted by christian_frank View Post
    The new driver is no bullshit cause it seems to adress multithreading which is one of the things valve needed for their steam games...
    Not only that, it says it addresses the performance issues when moving a window which uses VDPAU - this is great since I tried playing video with VDPAU and it's wonderful - CPU usage went from like 50-60% to only 2% but it wasn't usable because of the window move/resize severe performance drop, as soon as this update hits some PPA I'll surely switch to it and see if it's indeed fixed!

I even recall thinking to myself "why did Nvidia invent VDPAU which has such severe issues with moving windows" now I know it was just a bug in their driver.

PS: to test VDPAU I used smplayer since neither gstreamer/Totem, nor VLC use it, at least not by default and I heard VLC's usage of VDPAU if enabled is not efficient.
    Last edited by mark45; 10-15-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Wasn't nvidia supposed to have this for years? Or is it only now coming to linux, having been on windows for long?

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Wasn't nvidia supposed to have this for years? Or is it only now coming to linux, having been on windows for long?
    What "this"? OpenGL 4.3? haha

Btw, just installed the beta driver from Nvidia's site and can confirm that the VDPAU performance for moving window is indeed fixed! yay!

Which version of OpenCL is supported in this version?

It's good to see more OpenGL 4.3 support, CUDA 5.0 is looking very interesting. I'm looking forward to a 310.x stable driver.

Please stop whining about Wayland and KMS, the first is not at a usable state yet and the latter is not needed for the Nvidia driver.

Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    Give us specs and then we can talk.

Until now they can't touch DMA-BUF.
    Releasing specs would change absolutely nothing regarding nvidia and dma-buf. Maybe you should stick to your f u posts.