Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Benchmarking The Ubuntu "Low-Jitter" Linux Kernel

This article measured jitter in the most false way possible. Maybe this is a better approach?

Frame latency analysis on Doom 3

Yes, then we have even seen numbers on low-jitter.

Summing up:

First of all, a kernel with "low latency desktop" enabled. You can edit Kconfig.hz and change 100 to 90. (search/replace).
    You can add idle=poll and tick_skew=1 to boot options. And compile a shaved local kernel by doing "make localmodconfig" from a full distro kernel. (Also remember to turn of high_res_timers if enabled, because then hz will be 4016 or atleast high.)

CFS granularity should be set to 1158500nS. (Current setting is a bit high, and may give jitter)
    Renice X to -20, to prevent X being a bottleneck.
    Remove 60hz limit in doom 3, to avoid timing jitter. http://paradoxuncreated.com/tmp/AutoExec.cfg

Some nvidia-specific stuff on my blog aswell : http://paradoxuncreated.com/Blog/wordpress/?p=2268

A lot of people think SLAB has lower jitter than SLUB etc, aswell, and some tuning with regards to what kernel options execute the least code, least background activity can be done.

And then run your apps you want low-jitter in, reniced to -20. (doom 3, chromium-browser, wine (needs wine* + winappname*)

Praised Be God!

Peace Be With You.

Default Perfect.

So as I said, I ordered a computer with components optimized for latency. An E5 workstation, which I installed a GTX660 in also. HexaCore. What can I say, I am very pleased with the results. This is the kind of computer I have wanted for a long time. Highly recommened for all low-jitter enthusiasts, and media professionals. Even windows (xp) runs 1ms streams now, with webcam recording at the same time, without drop of frames or clicks.

Peace Be With You.