Quote Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
Rolling updates is just a completely different release model from stable releases. You can't really say one is 'better' than the other, each has advantages and drawbacks. No major RH customer would want a rolling release version of RHEL, for instance. Stable releases provide a sysadmin with an assurance that the system will, basically, work the same way throughout its lifetime. Rolling updates do not allow this. By their nature there will be 'regular' system updates that cause massive changes to system behaviour and may require significant manual care and feeding. This is great for a geek enthusiast, it is not much use for a stable deployment.

Personally I think the rolling release model might make a deal of sense for Fedora and it'd be interesting to try it, but it's certainly not the case that rolling release is simply 'better' than stable releases. It's good for some use cases, terrible for others.

Fedora already has a minimal installation option. At present it installs around 200 packages and uses 770MB of disk space (F18). There's some discussion on the devel list at present as to how some core components could possibly be split up to make a minimal install more space efficient.
Wow, a response from the great AdamW! I started using Linux at the tail-end of your time with Mandriva (v. 2009 was my first Linux distro and is what I learned with). Just find it kinda cool that we're actually having a dialogue, lol.

I certainly agree with your take on rolling vs. stable releases. In fact I'd love it if Fedora released a longterm supported version (similar to Ubuntu's LTS), so that I know I won't have to reinstall my system at some point in the near(-ish) future, but even that is non-existent. And it's not even the fact that I have to reinstall, b/c even that isn't entirely true with the pre-upgrade feature (though, I guess that's been taken out for something built from the ground up?). Idk, I guess it's just that Arch fits what I want to do with my system more closely than Fedora. And I don't mean to bash Fedora at all, and in fact I don't mean to insinuate that rolling is "better" than stable release cycles. Everyone has their preference and everyone should use what fits them best, be that Windows, *nix or OSX...I don't think their can be a "best" OS. It's just too subjective. I personally like the rolling release cycle better and would likely use Fedora if there was a spin with that feature.

Interesting, I'd love to see where that ends up (re: stripping more out of the minimal spin).