Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
A mix of both open and closed seems to truly be "pragmatic".
Its maybe in short term pragmatic for the user but not for linux itself... even that its allowed to write such drivers and release it... closed source drivers I mean, does harm really hard the reputation of linux. Why is that so... what happens if a noob tries out linux... he says aih I get asked if I want to install the "better" or faster nvidia drivers at the first start... oh yes of course... tahts the normal way windows does it that way so that must be the normal thing to do everywhere...

What happens next it causes massive problems instabilities... even black screens after boot in some cases etc. What happens next... the user deinstalls linux und whines everywhere how bad linux is. When this Closedsource drivers would be kind of banned not allowed to make any interface changes to the kernel and would not be allowed to be easily installed through such restricted-driver-management tools... the user would boot intel pc perfekt experince... linux is great... they would boot amd hardware... no problems... ok not so fast so amd is to blame. then they would boot nvidia stuff (and that would be especialy true in the time before nouvou drivers got released) they would see a black screen or some vesa drivers or something... they would say... ohh nvidia sucks because they as only company dont release any drivers to linux.

Then nobody who would want to do anything with linux would buy nvidia card... Nvidia is the weekest market player anyway today... as grafic-chip/card seller... they would hopefully get bankrupt... or they would release a driver finaly...

long story short point... the mega-buggy closed source drivers harms the reputation of linux... anybody will blame linux for each bug you get using this because peoples head are streamlined with windows-world-thinking...