Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 329

Thread: Bickering Continues About NVIDIA Using DMA-BUF

  1. #231
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Europe/Moscow
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    I don't buy this "They probably can't open all of their code" excuse.

    If they really want to open their driver code they will do it and they will find a way to do that.

    Let's hope everything ends well and they try to play nicely with the Linux developers.
    Or Linux devs play nicely with hardware makers. NVIDIA is likely bound by third parties and open sourcing will mean head-on legal collisions.

    But open source faggots don't bother, do they?

  2. #232
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ворот93 View Post
    The number of forum posts is no sign of literacy. Or maturity.
    oh thatís why i miss your point of your being all the time.

    but maybe you just need some exercise try some more posts but I'm sure shit never go fly like a champion even if they fall from inside of one into the toiled.

  3. #233
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    I don't buy this "They probably can't open all of their code" excuse.

    If they really want to open their driver code they will do it and they will find a way to do that.

    Let's hope everything ends well and they try to play nicely with the Linux developers.
    The only way to do it would be if Linux was huge and NVIDIA depended on it in a big way, then there could be some leverage. But as it is now, 1% market share makes the idea financially unsound.

  4. #234
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Again, nVIDIA doesn't provide drivers for this platform because of the irrelevant 1% that linux makes up in the consumer market or because they like the philosophy or platform.
    They provide it because of companies using linux for different kinds of vectorial computing (be it graphical or physics ... ever heard of NASA, Gas or Oil companies "accelerating" calculus through the GPU? there you have it)

    THIS, gentlemen ... is the VERY reason they make drivers for linux → http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_consultants.html
    And by mere accident they drop the drivers to the public so they can get some free (as in price) testing of the drivers (and, as a "payment" for that, they kinda give support for some desktop applications)

    Licking boots or not, nVIDIA has no choice other than keep providing drivers not because of the community ... again, it's because of the big money that they would loss to AMD if they ever dare to not provide drivers for those companies.

    So, nVIDIA ... if you wanna keep making money from this platform? you'll have to play by the rules of it




    Regards.

  5. #235
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Old Europe
    Posts
    916

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vertexSymphony View Post
    Again, nVIDIA doesn't provide drivers for this platform because of the irrelevant 1% that linux makes up in the consumer market or because they like the philosophy or platform.
    They provide it because of companies using linux for different kinds of vectorial computing (be it graphical or physics ... ever heard of NASA, Gas or Oil companies "accelerating" calculus through the GPU? there you have it)

    THIS, gentlemen ... is the VERY reason they make drivers for linux → http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_consultants.html
    And by mere accident they drop the drivers to the public so they can get some free (as in price) testing of the drivers (and, as a "payment" for that, they kinda give support for some desktop applications)

    Licking boots or not, nVIDIA has no choice other than keep providing drivers not because of the community ... again, it's because of the big money that they would loss to AMD if they ever dare to not provide drivers for those companies.

    So, nVIDIA ... if you wanna keep making money from this platform? you'll have to play by the rules of it
    Perfect, that pretty much sums it up.

    Can we please make this a sticky post?

  6. #236
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    184

    Default

    This forum really needs some moderators

  7. #237
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    831

    Default

    When I read this thread I feel like I am using lsd or something? Rofl, the Opensource guys are now the fanatics? And the freesoftware guys? what are there terrorists? Rofl, Linus who is fine that his kernel are used for sharks with lasers from evil people to illustrate his prakticality with the lisense and is cool with using closed source even has no big problems when his kernel gets violated 999 of 1000 times, but now because they drive it to far, now he is the fanatic rofl. Such stupid stuff can only say a windows user who should never left it.

    If its the technical points that drive you to linux, just use apple-os. is it noticable worse technicaly? No some would even say its better. Its a better field for closedsource companies. Or use chrome-os or something like that. I dont get it.

    And this argument, that most linux developers (you just mean here only the kernel so just install the kernel and show me how useful it is) are developed by companies. And that they would not care about freedom, they dont care about it directly maybe, a company cant care about anything anyway because its no person, even some trolls invented such retardness in america someday.

    But they care because they make money because of that, do you think redhat would sell one copy of its distros and support if they went away to closedsource/bsd like mixture, which would become more and more closed source.

    It has a reason why linux is so popular and why so many companies support it now. If users and developer would be more happy with a bsd lisense, why is bsd not that popular and well supported? Why? Just because the many many desktop users care so much about their freedom, no but the developers do.

    "Linux Desktop would be dead" like its dead in the last 10 years? I can live good with that dead desktop as long as its very good and I can use it, I dont care if 95% of the other users use windows or macosx. And why would linux be dead shure much users would not come to linux who have nvidia cards. But the wine devs would then work more in the direction to use the catalyst driver better and the free ones. So if you are minded like you who dont care about freedom at all not even a bit in this very compromised way opensource "non-fanatic" guys do and are fanatic against-freedom like you, you can buy a amd card next time and use that. And if thats to bad for you wth do you not use macosx? are the 50 bucks to much for you or what? If its gaming what you wand just use windows, nobody cares about that, if you violate your own freedom and you become a product of a company. Linus is one of the biggest critic of Stallman so to say he is a fanatic because he cares to much about freedom is just mushroom-world I should take some drugs to understand you better.

    There are some programms that give you multi-display or shure you can get a better console if you want but I have a feeling you dont use that much in linux and if so not because you like it ^^.

    You can even install cygwin. or some themes to make the look of windows. and be happy stop trolling use windows nobody will miss you.

  8. #238
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ворот93 View Post
    Is this the true level of literacy among open source faggots?
    Oh look, another troll. Or likely just one of the already existing using another account.

  9. #239
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RCL_ View Post
    Why can't we all get along.
    We can only get along if we respect each other. Per definition "proprietary" is "owned, ruled". Per definition "GPL" is "open and protected against closing". If proprietary tries to take over GPL code, GPL is enforced the way it was designed.

    We can't get along so long we try to enslave friends. This is what "proprietary" does to survive.

    Because if "proprietary" does not try to take over something vital and become "forcefully enforced" on others heads, it has a risk to be reimplemented in free version.
    Solely because "open" is an improvement over "closed", because you can't enforce your own agenta using "open". Example: Nvidia refuses to support Wayland, so every nvidia user is excluded from this project.


  10. #240
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XorEaxEax View Post
    Oh look, another troll. Or likely just one of the already existing using another account.
    This guy is pro-microsoft idiot.

    Quote Originally Posted by ворот93 View Post
    Why the hell update code gazillion times (Linux) when you can have software running for 10+ years unupdated (Windows)? And you do not "treat" software, you "use" it for your needs. Unless you are Linux religious fanatic, of course.
    I wonder when Michael will actually put forum spammers and pro-microsoft trolls on one line?

    Because its valid reason to argue over closed and open, but its simply spamming when someone uses an account just to promote commercial systems via mass spamming and trolling.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •