Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst: Ubuntu 12.10 vs. Windows 7

Hybrid View

Default AMD Catalyst: Ubuntu 12.10 vs. Windows 7

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst: Ubuntu 12.10 vs. Windows 7

For those wondering about the performance of Ubuntu Linux 12.10 versus Microsoft Windows 7 when using the same system and the Catalyst graphics driver, here are new Phoronix benchmarks of an AMD Radeon HD 6870 graphics card when running a variety of OpenGL workloads from Ubuntu 12.10, Kubuntu 12.10 (the KDE desktop version of Ubuntu 12.10 to avoid the Unity desktop overhead), and Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18030

Catalyst junk.

Kubuntu doing worse than Ubuntu? Huh. That's kind of surprising. I wonder how it would be if compositing was disabled for all three systems.

Catalyst needs to die? Really? Why don't you look at that:

That's Unigine Sanctuary @ r600g.

Now look at that:

That's Unigine Heaven @ r600g.

But wait, there's more!

That's unity @ r600g.

I want my Catalysts back.

Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    I don't, I want radeon to improve. Stop wanting the easy way.
    Well I think I'll buy new AMD graphic card just because how awesome Catalyst drivers are

Isn't it possible to do a benchmark among the others with only X.org running for"window management"?(well, I mean no window management )
    That would serve as a control group, to see the impact on performance from window managers. And what undirect fullscreen/suspend effects for fullscreen really can do.
    In my opinion, seeing this comparison at least once is more important than comparing to Windows.(not that the last is unimportant, but we must see that too)
    Although there may be difficulties doing this on Phoronix test suite, I'd love to see it.

If such benchmarks been done already, please excuse, and redirect to them me if you can.

@asdx

You're repeating the same stuff we've gone through countless times. It can get a lil bit annoying.

Ok sorry, but I'm just trying to bring some awareness here because I love Linux and FOSS, and I'm worried that everyone loves blob but no one seems to care about the free software drivers.
    If someone didn't know, they'd say you're spamming the forum with all those posts? Often kinda off topic?
    We pretty much all know what's going on in this forum, spreading awareness elsewhere would be of greater use.

You guys disappoint me, why do you say you love open source but then you choose binary blobs when they clearly hinder development?

Why not help the open source drivers instead. *Sigh*

We'll never get improved open source drivers if we always go with the blob.
    News Flash: Open Source is DOA without tens of billions of corporate dollars to make it exist. GNU doesn't exist without the cash and it don't come from joey in his basement or your enthusiasm.

Talk is cheap.

Money talks, bs walks.

The Radeon Open Source driver doesn't exist without AMD's cooperation in documentation.

You sit around for the next 6 years to get today's blob parity. The rest of the globe will be using those blobs 6 years down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    News Flash: Open Source is DOA without tens of billions of corporate dollars to make it exist. GNU doesn't exist without the cash and it don't come from joey in his basement or your enthusiasm.

Talk is cheap.

Money talks, bs walks.

The Radeon Open Source driver doesn't exist without AMD's cooperation in documentation.

You sit around for the next 6 years to get today's blob parity. The rest of the globe will be using those blobs 6 years down the road.

Ohh yes, Blob is fantastic, gl output cause tearing , xv is so slow on smooth scenes, 2d perfomance is poor, and problems with chrome and gpu aceleration, please...., no joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Talk is cheap.

Money talks, bs walks.

you're so full of shit its not funny