Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Ported To Google Nexus 7

Hybrid View

Default Ubuntu Ported To Google Nexus 7

Phoronix: Ubuntu Ported To Google Nexus 7

Canonical has successfully ported Ubuntu Linux to Google's Nexus 7 tablet...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIxMTA

I think there's a lot of worthless work being done, including LLVM on Java and Ubuntu on Nexus.
    I wish people/Canonical spent their time on important stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    I think there's a lot of worthless work being done, including LLVM on Java and Ubuntu on Nexus.
    I wish people/Canonical spent their time on important stuff.
    +1
    what a waste of time, the whole unity experience

Let me fix that for you:
    Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    I think there's a lot of work that is worthless for me being done, including LLVM on Java and Ubuntu on Nexus.
    I wish people/Canonical spent their time on for me important stuff.

Thumbs down

what did they port?
    they moved the packages from debian repository to the ubuntu repository along with 1000 buggy script fixes

Quote Originally Posted by log0 View Post
    Let me fix that for you:
    No thanks, your version is wrong actually.

Well, this is what they wanted I guess - it was after all the whole point of Unity, to run on the desktop/laptop/phone/tablet (heck it's in the name).

Now let's see it crash and burn as my cynical side thinks it will. Not sure how Canonical expects it to even challenge the iPad when Android is struggling with might of Google.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Well, this is what they wanted I guess - it was after all the whole point of Unity, to run on the desktop/laptop/phone/tablet (heck it's in the name).

Now let's see it crash and burn as my cynical side thinks it will. Not sure how Canonical expects it to even challenge the iPad when Android is struggling with might of Google.
    Who is struggling?
    US tablet OWNERSHIP share is currently 52% iCrap, 48% Android.
    Last year it was 81% iCrap, 19% Android.

Think about that carefully, those are OWNERSHIP numbers, not sales figures. In order to gain ownership share like that, you really have to DRAMATICALLY exceed your competitor in MARKET share (sales).

More interesting numbers; 25% of Americans OWN a tablet. Well sortof. Some may own more than 1, more correctly, there is 1 IN USE tablet for every 4 Americans. A year ago, the figure was 11%.

US population is 311 million.
    25% = 77,750,000
    11% = 34,210,000
    Net increase over the last year = 43,540,000

Now the numbers.
    Last year, 81% of 11% = 27,710,100 iCrap, 19% of 11% = 6,499,900 Android
    Now, 52% of 25% = 40,430,000 iCrap, 48% of 25% = 37,320,000 Android
    Net increase: 12,719,900 iCrap, 30,820,100 Android

Those aren't sales figures, those are net increase figures. Actual sales figures are probably just a little bit higher than that to cover replacement devices for those broken and not covered by warranty. They are probably close enough that we can use them to approximate market share.

So in the US over the last year, total tablet sales were 43,540,000 units.
    That puts the market share for ANDROID devices at 71%. iCrap is at 29%.

Isn't it interesting how a little bit of analysis can throw a wrench into obsolete assumptions? Apple is FAR from the juggernaut that their absurdly loud and obnoxious advertisements would have you believe. One of their attacks that is probably causing you confusion about how successful they are, is that they actually PAY for FAKE NEWS REPORTS. When you have the bunch of douchebags on... CNN, or whatever news, talking about iCrap, apple is actually PAYING them for it -- it is just another form of advertising.

I wonder if the Nexus port is the first public variant of "Ubuntu for Android" It would definitely be nice to be able to play with that very promising project and I guess they will eventually need users to iron out the issues (contact sharing, seamless browser session transfer etc...).

It's a great device but I would hold off for a bit as it looks like Google are bringing out an 32G version at the same price point for the 16G ones. Release is rumoured to be around the 29th October.