Thread: Doom 3 BFG Approved For GPL/Open-Source

Hybrid View

Default Doom 3 BFG Approved For GPL/Open-Source

Phoronix: Doom 3 BFG Approved For GPL/Open-Source

id Software released "Doom 3 BFG Edition" this week, a revised version of the Doom 3 game that came eight years after the original release of Doom 3. The engine source-code for Doom 3 BFG, which is still a modified id Tech 4 engine, is already approved for open-sourcing...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIxMDc

Would be interesting if it still works with old pk4 files.

Default Backports

Hope it contains some backports from id Tech 5.

With companies like Valve and others starting to warm up to Linux, who cares that ID is not porting stuff... ID games were great when they were young, but lately, they have been.... well, quite lacking - Rage anyone?

John Carmak can go play his own games with himself! Windows is diminishing with the demise of the PC market anyway, so, quite frankly, who gives a crap!

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxRocks View Post
    With companies like Valve and others starting to warm up to Linux, who cares that ID is not porting stuff... ID games were great when they were young, but lately, they have been.... well, quite lacking - Rage anyone?

John Carmak can go play his own games with himself! Windows is diminishing with the demise of the PC market anyway, so, quite frankly, who gives a crap!
    So far id software have done a lot more to support the open source community then Valve ever have. I don't recall Valve ever releasing any of their engines under the GPL.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
    So far id software have done a lot more to support the open source community then Valve ever have. I don't recall Valve ever releasing any of their engines under the GPL.
    Oh, I totally agree with you... But, for Linux specifically, Valve is the only one that even acknowledges Linux as a viable platform to use for gaming. John came out and bluntly stated that Linux was NOT an option for gaming. So, from an open source standpoint, you are correct.

However, Open source is not only Linux!

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxRocks View Post
    ID games were great when they were young, but lately, they have been.... well, quite lacking - Rage anyone?
    Did you actually play Rage?

I've played every id Software game since Wolf 3D, and I can tell you right now, Rage delivered. It was id's best reviewed game since Doom I for the most part. Visually, no game compared to it. The biggest problem today's cynical gamers have is, they misunderstand what an id game is. It's an excuse to shoot things. Every id game is, and has been an excuse to shoot things.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Hope it contains some backports from id Tech 5.
    I watched a little bit of the last Quakecon Carmack keynote on youtube, and I believe he said that they backported the id Tech 5 netcode into the Doom 3 BFG edition. Don't have a link handy to back that up off hand, but googling for it shows some results at least.