Thread: Green Island: A New Qt-Based Wayland Compositor

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    No.

If you don't like them, don't use them. They are brilliant and keep your fingers away from them.

The cool thing about virtual desktops is that they leverage your spatial memory in a way ad-hoc groupings don't. This I find useful, I have a clear map of where things are on which desktop and it makes finding things easier. There is nothing worse than 20 overlapping windows and then trying to sift through them to find what you're looking for.
    Since you don't use Gnome, as I recall, I don't really care about your opinion on this matter.
    However, for the sake of argument, let me expand a bit on my previous idea. These groupings of windows would be running, essentially, virtual desktops invisibly. To get make them visible should only require a tiny bit of UI code.
    To your specific example, I don't know why you'd have a task that requires 20 windows. However, for the sake of understanding, you'd still have those 20 windows to sift through on your virtual desktops.
    If your issue is the alt-tab presentation, there are a few extensions that provide different ways of presenting the windows (some limit what is shown on a desktop basis).

Quote Originally Posted by not.sure View Post
    This exactly. If you have a little bit of spatial or photographic memory you "feel" where stuff is. Even with fullscreen (a weird consumer trend that will hopefully pass not causing more damage than Gnome3 and 15" 1377x768 panels) this is an advantage because you gain one dimension for your orientation.
    Don't conflate spatial memory with photographic memory. Optimizing a system for the later group would be akin to optimizing a general curriculum based on the abilities of those in the top .001% of intelligence.
    The fullscreen thing is, IMHO, a result of small screen/low resolutions and bad window managers, and not necessarily due to "consumer trend(s)".
    Last edited by liam; 10-23-2012 at 07:43 PM.