Thread: DirectFB Continues To Gain New Features

Default DirectFB Continues To Gain New Features

Phoronix: DirectFB Continues To Gain New Features

While Wayland is sitting in the public limelight, DirectFB continues to exist as another means of handling Linux displays and input. DirectFB continues to quietly march on with new capabilities...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIxNDc

Default DirectFB vs Wayland

How does DirectFB compare against Wayland?

Are they similar or vastly different?

Is it remotely possible for Wayland & DirectFB to share driver code, at least to some degree? I've only glanced at DirectFB source before, by I liked the design that I saw. Same goes for Wayland.

i'm sorry but i'm one of those nutjobs who thinks reinventing the wheel with no hope of finishing the job is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by garegin View Post
    i'm sorry but i'm one of those nutjobs who thinks reinventing the wheel with no hope of finishing the job is stupid.
    Are you speaking of wayland or directfb?
    Because directfb exists since more than 10 year.
    The main problem IMHO is the fact that unlike wayland, it does not receive the support it merits from other actors.

Quote Originally Posted by F i L View Post
    Is it remotely possible for Wayland & DirectFB to share driver code, at least to some degree? I've only glanced at DirectFB source before, by I liked the design that I saw. Same goes for Wayland.
    Wayland doesn't have drivers per se: it's pretty much all DRM/KMS and EGL/GLES2. It's perfectly possible to write your own compositor backend, but if you support the standard stack then you won't ever have to touch Wayland at all to get it running on your hardware. We learned that lesson from X.