Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the absolute minimum Wattage PSU for an 8800GT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the absolute minimum Wattage PSU for an 8800GT?

As planned, I'll be upgrading this POS G8500GT part I currently have, BUT I need to know what would the PSU requirements be, as if I have to also get another PSU... I may have to postpone the upgrade. I currently have CoolerMaster ExtremePower 430W PSU.

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
    As planned, I'll be upgrading this POS G8500GT part I currently have, BUT I need to know what would the PSU requirements be, as if I have to also get another PSU... I may have to postpone the upgrade. I currently have CoolerMaster ExtremePower 430W PSU.
    I drive a dualcore opteron, the 8800GT and 4 harddisks
    with a 350W PSU. Yours should be more than enough ;-)

Comment

I run a similar configuration, but I fear the PSU would be insufficient. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Most easy way: as soon as your PSU dies replace it. I would not buy a new one before, thats useless.

Comment

It actually deends a lot on the quality of the PSU. A good 350W will certainly handle it, while a qtec or smth similar could very well die and damage other components. Kano a failing PSU can cause stability problems long before it dies and even damage components or shorten their lifespan. I have no idea what OEM built that CM psu but 430 should be more than enough

Comment

I had 3 failing 300-350W PSUs in one year and only the PSU was dead. You must be very unlucky when it hurts the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
              You need to know how many amps are required on the 12 volt line for that video card. On both rails the amperage has to add up to the acceptable power requirements. I think that PSU's is 27 amps (approx.) on the 12v line. I think it is enough for your 8500GT card.

Comment

Working...
              X