Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Loses Some Linux Kernel Developers

Default AMD Loses Some Linux Kernel Developers

Phoronix: AMD Loses Some Linux Kernel Developers

At least three Linux kernel developers are no longer employed by AMD...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIxNzI

Exclamation No coincidence

We all know what that means...

Default hush hush

Just like everything AMD does, we will never know why (ie: CEOs, driver changelogs, etc.).
    To be fair, I suppose those particular jobs might have been temporary ? ie: update for bulldozer

Best of luck to the people that got fired. They know codes and i believe they'll get a job soon.

Hope this restructuring won't touch the FOSS people.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    Best of luck to the people that got fired. They know codes and i believe they'll get a job soon.

Hope this restructuring won't touch the FOSS people.
    Best of luck to those who lost their jobs!

I'm worried. How you get more competitive by laying off lots of engineers is beyond me.
    I really hope the managers in charge do the right thing to bring AMD back on track.

They're clearly on the wrong track if the first people they kick out are the linux cpu engineers...

It is Linux AMD Vishera benchmarks, that saved their sorry asses, yet they fire the engineers. Its like sawing the branch on which they sit.

Epic FAIL.

Default A sad day

The reason they did this probably will never be known but I feel like I'm being pushed into a corner. If they limit Linux support what reason do I have to use their products? I think I'm going to get stuck with Intel/nvidia for my next system

I've praised AMD since they showed Intel they needed to step up their game after the crappy P4 CPU. And now I'll get stuck buying from companies that I feel charge too much. And we know that nvidia could care less about helping FOSS.

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    They're clearly on the wrong track if the first people they kick out are the linux cpu engineers...
    Well they have to make cuts somewhere and right now, like it or not, with AMD being dominated in the server arena, linux does not make them a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul_keeper View Post
    Just like everything AMD does, we will never know why (ie: CEOs, driver changelogs, etc.).
    To be fair, I suppose those particular jobs might have been temporary ? ie: update for bulldozer
    hope you are right.

I did buy AMD ONLY computers for as long as I remember, for over 10 years. I actually never had Intel(ok, i lie a bit, celeron with 600 mhz). If it's support goes to shit - I may as well stop using them all together, but there is no alternative, supporting someone like Intel is IMHO even worse.

I take my hat before Intel, for their support, but than, monopoly is going to hurt everyone! In long term, simply everyone in the world.