Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: AMD Loses Some Linux Kernel Developers

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soul_keeper View Post
    Just like everything AMD does, we will never know why (ie: CEOs, driver changelogs, etc.).
    To be fair, I suppose those particular jobs might have been temporary ? ie: update for bulldozer
    You're wrong, those guys were long time AMD staff members. It seems more like the X64 arch division of the OSRC in Dresden is shutting down...

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    92

    Default

    they should fire some lawyers first if You ask me...

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    557

    Default Firing != Layoff

    Folks, please use the proper term, out of respect for the affected people. You get "fired" when you are terminated for performance or similar reasons. You are "laid off" when your position becomes redundant, or the company has no funds to pay your salary.

    Cutting Linux support is crazy for a CPU company, if you ask me. Mobile computing, in particular, is being heavily dominated by Linux (android). Oh well. I guess I have no option rather buying Intel next time, and as much as some of you already said, I hate fueling a monopoly (even though I love Intel's Linux support).

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28

    Default

    I hope that whoever buys up the assets of AMD has deep pockets and are not just asset strippers. Who knows?

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mendieta View Post
    Cutting Linux support is crazy for a CPU company, if you ask me. Mobile computing, in particular, is being heavily dominated by Linux (android). Oh well. I guess I have no option rather buying Intel next time, and as much as some of you already said, I hate fueling a monopoly (even though I love Intel's Linux support).
    I wonder if they cut any Win8 developers.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    307

    Default

    very bad news. Hope this doesn't kill stability and support for us AMD users in the long run... definitely going to buy Intel/nVidia for my next machine, even if it's more expensive.. sorry AMD, but your drivers suck, and I just don't trust your long term support of Linux (my card's drivers where depreciated after only 3 years... come on).

    Maybe the silver-lining here is that AMD will be forced to support Linux through the OSS driver stack (like Intel) in the future.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Old Europe
    Posts
    917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynxeye View Post
    You're wrong, those guys were long time AMD staff members. It seems more like the X64 arch division of the OSRC in Dresden is shutting down...
    Yes, that's possible. :/
    At least Herrmann and Richter are listed to work at AMD OSRC Dresden.
    Not sure about Petkov though.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Seems that AMD is joining forces with RedHat to bring ARM to servers.

    At least that's what they're saying right now in a press conference.

    Some random quotes:
    "AMD will be the only company to deliver both x86 and ARM solutions in the data center"
    "We believe in technology leadership...we continue to extend that in x86 and now ARM"
    "Cell phone world predicts what's coming in the server world.'
    "Does switching from ARM to x86 matter in terms of power consumption?" - "Yes - workloads are changing"
    "Interesting growth phenomena over 7 years. We think ARM 64 bit will play an important role, but x86 not going away"
    "AMD is targeting investments at higher growth segments"
    I don't know how to interpret this, though.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Just read the press release. Its a brilliant strategic move into low margin market segments - now with fewer engineers they will create more products. No doubt the imbeciles trying to manage the company will rely ever more on marketting + hot air and even less on good execution of long term strategy. I guess any roadmaps are in tatters again.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mendieta View Post
    Folks, please use the proper term, out of respect for the affected people. You get "fired" when you are terminated for performance or similar reasons. You are "laid off" when your position becomes redundant, or the company has no funds to pay your salary.
    To me "fired" is the same as "laid off." The only difference is the person that got laid off has no reason why. A person that got fired has a reason why. During the interview both will have to explain why they got laid off or fired. It is easy for the person that got fired why they got fired. The person that got laid off will have to come up a reason why they got laid off that does make them look bad. The person that got laid off that provides no reason is worst than a person that got fired.

    LaidOff=Fired


    Quote Originally Posted by mendieta View Post
    Cutting Linux support is crazy for a CPU company, if you ask me. Mobile computing, in particular, is being heavily dominated by Linux (android). Oh well. I guess I have no option rather buying Intel next time, and as much as some of you already said, I hate fueling a monopoly (even though I love Intel's Linux support).
    I hope "even though I love Intel's Linux support" is sarcasm because Intel's support for Linux is so, so. Their WiFi and graphics works some what, but it could be better. There are some bugs in graphics such as when I enable TearFree it crashes X Window System while xscreensaver sends a standby command to my monitor. Also Intel graphics does a minor graphics garbled when 3D apps are used. Reliability of Intel's drivers are below average from a reputable company.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •