Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: Fedora 18 Isn't Looking Too Good, Anaconda Problems

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    [...]Ubuntu is the king! Fedora is clearly inferior to Ubuntu and less usable. [...]
    Look on the corporation behind it. Which corporation is more successful Red Hat or Canonical? Which is more involved in Open Source advancements? Which has more employees, a bigger business volume, which is in the Top10 of this Forbes list http://www.forbes.com/innovative-companies/, etc.

    Not Canonical.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mexico City, Mexico
    Posts
    900

    Default Ahh... The memories!!!

    Is like Fedora 5 all over again!! LoL

    What if a deemed current release lived longer than its stated 12 months due to an increased inter-release cycle? I certainly don't care much about it. Like before, release when it's ready, not before... And if Anaconda is not ready and they need to ship, ship with the previous version instead! Hold off Anaconda for a mid-term release with F18 updated images, if necessary.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bwat47 View Post
    IMO 6 month release schedules are just silly in the first place, I wish fedora (and ubuntu) would consider having longer time between releases, and more post-release updates/support for existing releases.
    There is nothing wrong with a 6 months release schedule. Please, do not confuse it with a 6 months development schedule.
    A 6 months release schedule only means you're supposed to release whatever you have ready every 6 months, including stuff that's been in development for 2-3 years or more. In fact, this separation is crucial. The moment you say "I want this feature in this release", you can have 6 years release schedule and it will still go down the drain; you've essentially made sure you won't ship until the feature is done.

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cbamber85 View Post
    Is this similar to the issues openSUSE were having post 12.1? They started slipping behind schedules and it eventually led to some soul searching, and then procedural changes within the distro's release management.
    not really. it's very much the result of a single specific feature: the new installer UI and related changes.

    what the experience makes clear is that the processes we have are fine for less disruptive features, but weren't really capable of smoothly handling a feature this large and disruptive.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    south east
    Posts
    342

    Default Canonical vs Fedora

    Canonical has 50 people working on Ubuntu
    RedHat has 3 working on Fedora.

    And for everyone else there is Debian?

    Bad credit card analogy.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    835

    Default

    maybe they should switch to a rolling release thing... but if one Linux should be stopped, its Suse and maybe mandrake... I see no real benefit in having them... I mean Ubuntu was more or less needed because debian was too conservative and had to long release times, for most desktop users.

    And staying always unstable is no real option because even today they have not the current gnome-shell release in it as example, not even the half like ubuntu does it ^^.

    And it is not always unstable it gets kind of freezed before releases come. So whatever... but whats the reason behind suse? German isdn stuff is gone... each distribution is perfektly usable by germans... so wtf why didnt it die? Yes there are maybe some guys that are not that bad that work there. but why not help the fedora guys.

    But it seems its a good business modell that works and they make money out of it, if that happens anything will continue, even if your company would plan to destroy the world, if making such a plan would generate income for a company they would do it ^^ (but to be fair novell dont plan to kill the planet).

    But why not make it like ubuntu did it, have one main distro like fedora and then have some other mints call it opensuse or mandrake or whatever... you could also call it instead of suse kde-fedora oder kedora and so on ^^ but its business desition have nothing to do with technical efficency or rationalaties... there is money reinvent the wheel a thousend times jippy.

    but you dont need to do even a ubuntuish thing... look at linux mint... also builds on top of ubuntu, why not make a linux mint like opensuse... and instead of build all stuff test it write all yourself... help a bit upstream and manage some packages. Or make a joint-venture or something like that ^^
    Last edited by blackiwid; 10-31-2012 at 08:10 PM.

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squirrl View Post
    Canonical has 50 people working on Ubuntu
    RedHat has 3 working on Fedora.

    And for everyone else there is Debian?

    Bad credit card analogy.
    I...what? Who are you replying to? Where are you getting your numbers from? What point are you trying to make?

    There's more than 3 RH staff working on Fedora _just on my team_ (the RH Fedora QA team), never mind project-wide. I'm sure Canonical has far more than 50 people working on Ubuntu too.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackiwid View Post
    maybe they should switch to a rolling release thing... but if one Linux should be stopped, its Suse and maybe mandrake... I see no real benefit in having them... I mean Ubuntu was more or less needed because debian was too conservative and had to long release times, for most desktop users.
    That's really silly. Mandriva and it's family arguably don't do that much but SUSE is important. It not only provides real competition in the Enterprise market segment but it's also a massive contributor to the Linux ecosystem. Not as big as Red Hat sure, however they still tend to be in the top 10 for various projects including the kernel, and as well they have their own very important projects such as the Open Build Service, and Redhat is now using SUSE's LibSolv as part of DNF. openSUSE itself is a really powerful and flexible distribution when it comes to packaging because of zypper and the OBS and YaST is of course nice too.

    Quote Originally Posted by blackiwid View Post
    And it is not always unstable it gets kind of freezed before releases come. So whatever... but whats the reason behind suse? German isdn stuff is gone... each distribution is perfektly usable by germans... so wtf why didnt it die? Yes there are maybe some guys that are not that bad that work there. but why not help the fedora guys.
    Why didn't it die? Because SUSE is successful, maybe not as successful as Red Hat but still nothing to laugh at. Besides what's it matter if the German component is there or not? It's an international distribution, and has a different philosophy than Fedora. Besides you can't control developers.

    Quote Originally Posted by blackiwid View Post
    But why not make it like ubuntu did it, have one main distro like fedora and then have some other mints call it opensuse or mandrake or whatever... you could also call it instead of suse kde-fedora oder kedora and so on ^^ but its business desition have nothing to do with technical efficency or rationalaties... there is money reinvent the wheel a thousend times jippy.
    Except that openSUSE is a distant slackware relative, and has nothing at all to do with the Red Hat family. On top of which are you really sure you want a duopoly between Debian and Red Hat? And Ubuntu is the perfect example of the wheel being reinvented 1000 times over in it's "derivatives" and how Cannonical itself approaches things.

    Quote Originally Posted by blackiwid View Post
    but you dont need to do even a ubuntuish thing... look at linux mint... also builds on top of ubuntu, why not make a linux mint like opensuse... and instead of build all stuff test it write all yourself... help a bit upstream and manage some packages. Or make a joint-venture or something like that ^^
    because Family level competition and trying different methods of solving things is a good thing. See above

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Na na na na na naaaa Fedora is going to shit. Ubuntu is the king! Fedora is clearly inferior to Ubuntu and less usable. Now they can't even ship.
    Not sure if trolling... but anyway, not sure where you're getting this idea that 'Fedora is going to shit' considering anaconda is just the python based graphical installer tool. Also, Fedora less usable? Hardly. How's your OpenGL performance under Unity these days?

    Quote Originally Posted by squirrl View Post
    Canonical has 50 people working on Ubuntu
    RedHat has 3 working on Fedora.
    I'd love to know where people get these wildly misinformed ideas about Fedora and Red Hat. In terms of company contributions, Red Hat have contributed more to the Linux eco-system than any other company and on the planet and have made a fortune doing so.

    Infact, lets look at a report showing direct Kernel contributions between companies for kernels from 2.6.32 until 3.2 for example.. who leads the pack? Red Hat.
    http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-...lopment-report

    Looking directly at the PDF, Canonical isn't even listed!
    http://go.linuxfoundation.org/who-writes-linux-2012

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Sitting pretty with Fedora 16 and I am waiting for new hardware to arrive anyway before I can upgrade. So just release when it is done. I do not see what all the fuss is over this to be honest - and Anaconda does need an update. So, give it some time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •