Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 70

Thread: AMD Is Indeed Losing More Linux Developers

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,598

    Default

    @curaga

    http://ark.intel.com/products/65527/...Cache-3_10-GHz

    vt-x is there even for cheap chips, that was the cheapest from the ivy bridge lineup, the older ones are even cheaper.

    http://ark.intel.com/products/53418/...Cache-2_60-GHz

    vt-d is something like amd-vi, which is only possible with am3 cpus and 890fx and series amd series 9 chipsets - all of those are without integrated gfx btw. ok, you could get aes-ni support cheaper with amd, but not so many ppl use it, intel wants you to buy i5 for that feature but definitely NOT to get vt-x.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    148

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    The house is on fire, the house is on fire!

    Do most people on here talk like they're 20 with zero experience outside of small Linux start-ups, if that?

    Seriously, major changes for AMD have been put into motion and this apocalyptic attitude is truly sad, mainly from people who don't care about AMD in the first place and then added on by die hard AMD CPU fans who think AMD is ending their Desktop lines.

    ARM isn't replacing Vishera/Steamroller, blah, blah blah. Having a hybrid solution for HSA computing that allows systems to run on extremely low power set ups while not doing heavy lifting is a sign of intelligence by designers at AMD.

    HSA Computing. Learn it, live it, love it.
    That's exactly what we know and that's the biggest problem: AMD is going to release new architecture. New architecture needs drivers to perform (or work at all), especially hybrid solutions! Who is going to develop them for Linux? Intel?

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    south east
    Posts
    337

    Default so

    if i vote for Romney, will AMD relase a new driver for my 4200hd and 9800 pro?

    I hope microsoft don't upgrade my Xbox 360, because AMD won't support Windows 8 on it.

    Resource management my ass.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    4,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JS987 View Post
    Competition is always welcomed. It isn't true that Intel dual core costs $200-$300.
    http://www.jimms.fi/tuote/BX80637I33225

    Just one example. 157 eur ~= 200 usd. Desktop dual core i3.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    4,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    @curaga

    http://ark.intel.com/products/65527/...Cache-3_10-GHz

    vt-x is there even for cheap chips, that was the cheapest from the ivy bridge lineup, the older ones are even cheaper.

    http://ark.intel.com/products/53418/...Cache-2_60-GHz

    vt-d is something like amd-vi, which is only possible with am3 cpus and 890fx and series amd series 9 chipsets - all of those are without integrated gfx btw. ok, you could get aes-ni support cheaper with amd, but not so many ppl use it, intel wants you to buy i5 for that feature but definitely NOT to get vt-x.
    I said "complete virtualization", that includes IO or VT-d as Intel calls it.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    http://www.jimms.fi/tuote/BX80637I33225

    Just one example. 157 eur ~= 200 usd. Desktop dual core i3.
    http://www.getgoods.de/hardware-soft...55-box?c=62351
    Pentium Dual Core 56.49 Euro with 19% tax ~= 47.47 Euro without tax ~= $60.53 ( today rate 1.275 )
    Last edited by JS987; 11-07-2012 at 04:55 PM.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,598

    Default

    @curaga

    And how many ppl use AMD-Vi or vt-d? Do YOU use it?

  8. #48
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    @curaga

    And how many ppl use AMD-Vi or vt-d? Do YOU use it?
    Raises hand.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    16

    Default

    AMD RIP... Seriously, Linux could be last hope with their architrectural improvisations. But now they mean no Android phones or tablets, no servers... ? Seriously? It's one way to escape from bankrupcy or AMD - go on ARM. But linux support question will stay.
    I didnt buy intel CPUs before this time, but i definitely will.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Echo that. AMD guy, you still there?
    Yes, I'm still here. I can confirm that there was no reduction of the open source graphics and embedded linux teams that report to me. Staffing information is necessarily confidential so there's nothing more I can share on this topic.

    Tim

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •