Thread: CoreCode's CoreBreach Game Goes Open-Source

Hybrid View

Default CoreCode's CoreBreach Game Goes Open-Source

Phoronix: CoreCode's CoreBreach Game Goes Open-Source

Last year there was the release of CoreBreach, a racing game originally developed for Mac OS X that came out of the Austrian-based CoreCode game studio. Back in June the studio exclusively shared with Phoronix that they want to open-source CoreBreach while now to kick off November, they have released the game's source-code. CoreBreach was ported to Linux from OS X using GNUstep, etc...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIyMDU

This game has huge potential, it just needs some work though. The building environment set up in the source-package even has developer-specific build-locations. It needs a lot of cleaning.

thanks for pointing this out, there were a few small instances of referencing local paths in the xcodeproject but that should not have stopped a build (just change its destination).

i've fixed this now.

not sure what other cleanups you are referring too. yes this is a production codebase and contains (sometimes ugly) workarounds to get things working on 4 different operating systems. you can call it "production quality". or you can call it "needs a complete rewrite" ;-)

Is that the complete game or only the engine?

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Is that the complete game or only the engine?

both engine (https://github.com/core-code/Core3D) and game (https://github.com/core-code/CoreBreach).

whats missing is the game data. some of the game data has been open-sourced, some has been included as freeware (so you have a working but ugly game after a compile) and some has been replaced by dummy graphics. but of course you can combine the compiled game e.g. with the freeware demo dataset or the full commercial 4.99$ dataset.

Well the demo had a stupid track as well, i don't think i will compile it.

Quote Originally Posted by CoreCode View Post
    thanks for pointing this out, there were a few small instances of referencing local paths in the xcodeproject but that should not have stopped a build (just change its destination).

i've fixed this now.

not sure what other cleanups you are referring too. yes this is a production codebase and contains (sometimes ugly) workarounds to get things working on 4 different operating systems. you can call it "production quality". or you can call it "needs a complete rewrite" ;-)
    Nah, these issues are not that dramatic. I would definitely call it "production quality", it just needs a group of developers to sort some things out.
    Great work on the game!