Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: The AuroraUX Operating System Is Dead

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,788

    Default The AuroraUX Operating System Is Dead

    Phoronix: The AuroraUX Operating System Is Dead

    While figuring out what niche operating systems to benchmark on Phoronix next, I realized the AuroraUX operating system project quietly disappeared...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIyMTI

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    α Centauri
    Posts
    30

    Default AuroraUX source code or documentation

    Too bad that very interesting open source projects are abandoned
    I am interested in Ada programming language and software written in this language.
    Does anyone know a mirror for the OS, source code or documentation or anything related to the AuroraUX OS? Linux or Solaris ports.
    Unlike closed source software, any dead open source code can be ressurected and brought back to life after many years.
    Mention that Google did not find anything relevant.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    34

    Default

    I must have missed this one - Why can't more people seem to get along with Ada? It isn't just a dead pascal copy... it's actually... well, very good!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    13

    Default

    It was a very interesting idea, but perhaps a bit overambitious. For example, I believe they planned to write their own X server in Ada, even if they could get it working in a reasonable time frame, would it have made much of a difference?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ฿ 16LDJ6Hrd1oN3nCoFL7BypHSEYL84ca1JR
    Posts
    1,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philcostin View Post
    Why can't more people seem to get along with Ada? It isn't just a dead pascal copy... it's actually... well, very good!
    Object orientation is possible but a bit strange. Maybe this will get better with the next version of the standard...

    GUI bindings... Well, there is gtkada...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philcostin View Post
    I must have missed this one - Why can't more people seem to get along with Ada? It isn't just a dead pascal copy... it's actually... well, very good!
    Ada and Pascal are terrible if compared to C++11

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    α Centauri
    Posts
    30

    Default FPC

    Old Pascal (of N. Wirth) is considered obsolete. A new version could be Frepascal, a clone of Delphi FreePascal/ObjectPascal. Fpc is a mature compiler.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onicsis View Post
    Old Pascal (of N. Wirth) is considered obsolete. A new version could be Frepascal, a clone of Delphi FreePascal/ObjectPascal. Fpc is a mature compiler.
    Free Pascal still needs much longer source code to implement same functionality than C++11.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    α Centauri
    Posts
    30

    Default

    It would have been nice a DesktopManager/WM/FileManager written in ADA + necessary tools and other user-space programs, in top of Linux/Solaris or BSD kernel.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    α Centauri
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JS987 View Post
    Free Pascal still needs much longer source code to implement same functionality than C++11.
    From what I know, even Qt still does not use all the features of new C++11 standard.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •