Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: DragonFlyBSD 3.2.1 Battles Against Linux For Speed

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArchLinux View Post
    Wikipedia disagrees with you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DragonFly_BSD#Kernel.


    There's more to kernels than just a _strict_ monolithic or microkernel approach.
    http://www.realworldtech.com/forum/?...urpostid=65915

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArchLinux View Post
    Wikipedia disagrees with you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DragonFly_BSD#Kernel.

    There's more to kernels than just a _strict_ monolithic or microkernel approach.
    When these kernels are called hybrid kernels, they are usually called that because they support loadable modules. They can still be compiled as strictly monolithic kernels and they behave no differently than "true" monolithic kernels once loaded. As far as the developers working on them are concerned, they are monolithic kernels.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ryao View Post
    When these kernels are called hybrid kernels, they are usually called that because they support loadable modules.
    Uhh.. no?

    They are called that because some of their services live in user space.

    Correction. Yeah, I've seen that through Wikiquote but I still use the term. Just makes more sense.
    Last edited by ArchLinux; 11-05-2012 at 01:01 PM.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    SuperUserLand
    Posts
    536

    Default

    who the fuck runs bsd??

    their drivers suck even more (if that's possible)

    the versions of common shit like firefox and chromium are lagging behind.

    gnome 2? lol wtf

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garegin View Post
    a monolithic kernel is always faster than a kernel that passes messages queues.
    If coded to peak efficiency for all possible H/W configs.

    I note that monolithic S/W designs are MUCH harder to code to peak efficiency.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArchLinux View Post
    Uhh.. no?

    They are called that because some of their services live in user space.
    Which services live in user space on DragonFlyBSD?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus View Post
    who the fuck runs bsd??

    their drivers suck even more (if that's possible)

    the versions of common shit like firefox and chromium are lagging behind.

    gnome 2? lol wtf
    Imagine you were a Linux user who is surfing a Windows forum, and you see a post like yours, only with 'Linux' instead of 'bsd' and 'gnome 3' instead of 'gnome 2'.
    You would think that dude is an utterly ignorant douche.

    As a side note, Firefox is at 16.0.2, the current version upstream. Chromium may not be at the current upstream version(I haven't checked), but this is rather due to the linuxisms making it hard to port.
    Last edited by BitRot; 11-05-2012 at 03:47 PM.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ryao View Post
    When these kernels are called hybrid kernels, they are usually called that because they support loadable modules. They can still be compiled as strictly monolithic kernels and they behave no differently than "true" monolithic kernels once loaded. As far as the developers working on them are concerned, they are monolithic kernels.
    No, thats called a modular monolithic kernel. DFBSD kernel is a hybrid because it utilizes microkernel like(but more lite) message-passing and protected memory. Message-passing is used for communication between CPUs. It's monolithic in structure, but employs some microkernel features inside the monolithic kernel, hence hybrid.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArchLinux View Post
    They are called [a hybrid kernel] because some of their services live in user space.
    Even linux has or can have some of its services run in user space, of course (e.g. filesystems).

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JanC View Post
    Even linux has or can have some of its services run in user space, of course (e.g. filesystems).
    Yeah, but I meant none of these are included in the kernel.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •