Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: KDE 4.9.3 November Update Fixes 86 Bugs

Quote Originally Posted by boast View Post
    something is wrong with your computer, hardware wise.
    You have no idea what my hardware is (plus, any knowledge of what kinds of diagnostics tests I might have tried) so this statement is based on????

Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    You have no idea what my hardware is (plus, any knowledge of what kinds of diagnostics tests I might have tried) so this statement is based on????
    The fact that you get lots of crashes, no matter what distro/desktop you try, is a dead giveaway that you are running into some kind of driver problem with your hardware, or else the hardware itself is faulty.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    The fact that you get lots of crashes, no matter what distro/desktop you try, is a dead giveaway that you are running into some kind of driver problem with your hardware, or else the hardware itself is faulty.
    If I use xfce as the desktop, there seems to be A LOT less crashes. I've tried memory tests and a few other things. If you have any suggestions or diagnostic ideas, I'd be open to anything.

I'm more familiar with KDE and with xfce, there are a few things that I miss or get a bit annoyed with. But, it just seems like I have less freezes and crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    If I use xfce as the desktop, there seems to be A LOT less crashes. I've tried memory tests and a few other things. If you have any suggestions or diagnostic ideas, I'd be open to anything.
    You could try to experiment with the Compositing type and Qt graphics system settings in Desktop Effects - Advanced tab

With my proprietary nvidia driver OpenGL+raster seems to work best.

Also, I usually stick to the Oxygen window decorations (or Plastik), because some decorations in the past have made my desktop unstable or glitchy