Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 145

Thread: The Steam Linux Beta Begins...

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Still can't belive to see steam running on my linux box! Even on my awkward tiling window manager:

    http://i.imgur.com/ePUQd.png

    To see the full steam window after opening the friends window (it created a Gnome/Freedesktop menu entry under the Internet category for me after installing the .deb linked in this thread), click the "View all members" link on the linux beta group (Red rectangle in screenshot above).

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    351

    Default

    a few months back:
    Valve: we are concentrating on Ubuntu
    last week:
    Ubuntu users enter the survey since they know they have a chance ; other distro users enter the survey just in case, but kinda bitter
    today
    Valve: The Steam for Linux Beta client is currently available for installation on Ubuntu 12.04. “An overwhelming majority of beta applicants have reported they’re running the Ubuntu distro of Linux,” according to Frank Crockett, a member of the Steam for Linux team, “We intend to support additional popular distros in the future; we’ll prioritize development for these based on user feedback.”
    no $hit Sherlock, 4 real dog? Un-fracking-believable discovery... :-|

    yeah yeah I did not get invited in the beta because I chose NOT to lie about my distro of choice gaddammit, oh and also it needs libc6 (>= 2.15) and Sid only has 2.13

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    france
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by totex71 View Post
    its because he dont know that in english. the date is 2012-11-06. and in other countries like mine (Denmark). it is 2012-06-11. it is backwards
    But PKGBUILD is really here :
    https://gist.github.com/4027247#file_pkgbuild

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Licaon View Post
    a few months back:

    last week:

    today

    no $hit Sherlock, 4 real dog? Un-fracking-believable discovery... :-|

    yeah yeah I did not get invited in the beta because I chose NOT to lie about my distro of choice gaddammit, oh and also it needs libc6 (>= 2.15) and Sid only has 2.13


    +1....not only that but they promised that all (and we were an "handfull") that expressed interest in the blog would be invited for sure....guess what ?....i wasn't.

    FI anyway....lot's of games to play anyway (many of them FOSS like Unvanquished (new ver.reported here at Phoronix) and i have to finish a program to play games under WinXP/Win7/WINE and lot's of other things to do...i actually i'm downloading SLAX 7 RC1 to test drive it from a USB Pen....

    Live Distro with KDE4 running from a 183/188MB ISO image with a bunch of software and only needing 250MB RAM !!!
    ....i need to convince the dev to port it to the ARM SoCs

  5. #35
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJSB View Post
    +1....not only that but they promised that all (and we were an "handfull") that expressed interest in the blog would be invited for sure....guess what ?....i wasn't.

    FI anyway....lot's of games to play anyway (many of them FOSS like Unvanquished (new ver.reported here at Phoronix) and i have to finish a program to play games under WinXP/Win7/WINE and lot's of other things to do...i actually i'm downloading SLAX 7 RC1 to test drive it from a USB Pen....

    Live Distro with KDE4 running from a 183/188MB ISO image with a bunch of software and only needing 250MB RAM !!!
    ....i need to convince the dev to port it to the ARM SoCs
    Ya I knew that I wouldn't be selected as soon as I answered the survey truthfully. Figured that running an openSUSE KDE RPM based distro with multihead setup with greater resolutions then they specified might eliminate me. Oh well, if they can't provide a "Steam for Linux" instead of "Steam for Ubuntu" then I'll just keep telling people to get "Steam for Mac" ;D

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Well we could have not lied and increased our chances...dual boot

    Sadly it only came to my mind too late...i could have installed CRAPBUNTU along side SLACKWARE and probably i would be downloading and testing it now....

    But there is always a silver lining like i said....lot's of good Free Non-Steam games around here, you just need to find them....and i have a good collection of Window$ games to play via WINE.... some of the best ever made for it actually....

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Ya I knew that I wouldn't be selected as soon as I answered the survey truthfully. Figured that running an openSUSE KDE RPM based distro with multihead setup with greater resolutions then they specified might eliminate me. Oh well, if they can't provide a "Steam for Linux" instead of "Steam for Ubuntu" then I'll just keep telling people to get "Steam for Mac" ;D
    Would that serve either them or Linux though? Or only Apple?
    Didn't they say from the very start that initially they'll have Ubuntu support and then develop for other distributions too?
    I guess some people missed it. After the beta, It'll [should mostly] work on other distros as well anyway .... Not like I never used Ubuntu software on Arch etc ...

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Well, I'm trying out steam on Ubuntu 12.10 64bit, steam itself seems to work really great. Takes some time for me to install a few games to test, gonna try out Serious Sam 3 and Trine 2.

    I hope they add Bastion to there list, one of my favorite indie games

    Whoever complains about this working on Ubuntu only:
    It is far easier to target one distro then 100 different distros ( IT'S JUST BETA! ) out there. Just be patient, I'm sure it will be available on a lot more distros when release is coming up... Valve is not that stupid afterall.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grenadecx View Post
    Well, I'm trying out steam on Ubuntu 12.10 64bit, steam itself seems to work really great. Takes some time for me to install a few games to test, gonna try out Serious Sam 3 and Trine 2.

    I hope they add Bastion to there list, one of my favorite indie games

    Whoever complains about this working on Ubuntu only:
    It is far easier to target one distro then 100 different distros ( IT'S JUST BETA! ) out there. Just be patient, I'm sure it will be available on a lot more distros when release is coming up... Valve is not that stupid afterall.
    Does it even matter if Valve provide official support for other distros? People are already running it on Arch. It's even in the AUR.
    Valve will probably support 1 or 2 popular distros like Fedora, debian, opensuse. Really after those distros, there is nothing major enough to even bother supporting.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Licaon View Post
    yeah yeah I did not get invited in the beta because I chose NOT to lie about my distro of choice gaddammit, oh and also it needs libc6 (>= 2.15) and Sid only has 2.13
    So just try to use Ubuntu's libc6 .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •