Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: Debian Switches Back To GNOME From Xfce

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    The dependency on systemd is increasing for sure. Debian can change the default in the future if they feel like. Having gnome as default covers whezzy for now. The future is unclear. Gnome will for sure end up being tied to systemd. So in reality it is not gnome which need to be accepted as default but systemd.

    Systemd is linux only and is not default at Ubuntu so nothing is future proof.
    From what I've seen (Debian users), a lot of people don't want systemd to be a default.
    1. When it breaks a system it's much harder to unbreak. On a server that needs 99.9999% uptime, this is a potential nightmare.
    2. Doesn't support, and the devs of systemd have said they will likely never support... anything other than the Linux kernel. Attempts were made to get systemd to work on other kernels besides Linux and these patches were REJECTED by upstream. So systemd is almost a form of Linux kernel "lock-in". Debian needs to support the kFreeBSD kernel as well and it's a lot simpler to choose something that works on everything than maintain two different standards for the boot process (by default). If systemd could ever work with kernels other than Linux, then it's far more likely to be the default in Debian.
    3. The performance gains of systemd quickly evaporate if the system is booted from an SSD.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Yes it is a tremendous difference for fuck's sake! When I write code for android I have an eclipse window (or netbeans) and an android emulator window. I like switching between them fast. Alt tab works but it sucks when I can't reach the keyboard or don't want to (sometimes I read in bed from a distance on a laptop and it's annoying to reach the keyboard when I can use the mouse). Going to a corner and them finding your window in the list is fucking annoying. With a taskbar I see where the damn program lies easier and can switch directly (plus I always have them in an order so that I don't actually have to look at where they are, I know where to go). It is faster stop argumenting that it isn't!
    1) You are saying that you use eclipse only with a wireless mouse sitting far from your desktop? My congratulations, i'll never be able to do that!
    2) There is the "dash to dock extension" that solves entirely your problem (i say this for others, i know you'll answer with the "i don't want to use an extension blah blah" refrain, in fact i assume you are using compiz alone or KDE with no panels, plasmoids etc.)
    3) Please, learn how to troll proper, you are very boring

    p.s. no, i'm not a gnome shell fan, i use KDE.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Yes it is a tremendous difference for fuck's sake! When I write code for android I have an eclipse window (or netbeans) and an android emulator window. I like switching between them fast. Alt tab works but it sucks when I can't reach the keyboard or don't want to (sometimes I read in bed from a distance on a laptop and it's annoying to reach the keyboard when I can use the mouse).
    wait, you say it is a temendous differnce when you write code for android etc. but alt+tab is not an option when you can't reach your keaybord.
    how do you code for android mouse only?

    now when you indeed arn't in need of a keybord and use mouse only...
    Going to a corner and them finding your window in the list is fucking annoying. With a taskbar I see where the damn program lies easier and can switch directly (plus I always have them in an order so that I don't actually have to look at where they are, I know where to go). It is faster stop argumenting that it isn't!
    in BOTH cases you have a list of running programms, in BOTH cases you have to find it and click on it. The ONLY difference is that on gnome shell it takes a fraction of a second to get to the list first.

    but wati! in gnome shell you see your windows additionally to the list just in front of you , easy to identify as down scaled windows.

    sure it is an additional edge you have to go around but don't tell me it is that of a tremendous issue.
    i can accept that it is not your taste and thus do not like it. but what you are trying to make out of it is simply stupid!

    this is what you come up definding your gnome shell is shitty statement? if that's all please just shut up. you are just hilarious!

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    101

    Default but Gnome is a TROLL !

    silly little scared Debian, who used to have guts, but now they have none, M$ wins, so go to gnome forget xfce ?
    ..., and that sums up Debian, including their eventual, and cowardly shift to "systemd", in a nutShell.
    Last edited by scjet; 11-11-2012 at 01:38 PM.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scjet View Post
    silly little scared Debian, who used to have guts, but now they have none, M$ wins, so go to gnome forget xfce ?
    ..., and that sums up Debian, including their eventual, and cowardly shift to "systemd", in a nutShell.
    I doubt Debian devs will be keen to switch make systemd default anytime soon. It gets in the way of their kFreeBSD port, and they already have a decent custom init. And they still have Upstart(lol) as an option ;p

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freedam View Post
    2) There is the "dash to dock extension" that solves entirely your problem (i say this for others, i know you'll answer with the "i don't want to use an extension blah blah" refrain, in fact i assume you are using compiz alone or KDE with no panels, plasmoids etc.)
    The problem with extensions is that they are hacks which are tightly coupled to a version of GNOME.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidicas
    1. When it breaks a system it's much harder to unbreak. On a server that needs 99.9999% uptime, this is a potential nightmare.
    2. Doesn't support, and the devs of systemd have said they will likely never support... anything other than the Linux kernel. Attempts were made to get systemd to work on other kernels besides Linux and these patches were REJECTED by upstream. So systemd is almost a form of Linux kernel "lock-in". Debian needs to support the kFreeBSD kernel as well and it's a lot simpler to choose something that works on everything than maintain two different standards for the boot process (by default). If systemd could ever work with kernels other than Linux, then it's far more likely to be the default in Debian.
    3. The performance gains of systemd quickly evaporate if the system is booted from an SSD.
    1. The two biggest linux server service companies are betting their future billion dollars business on it. That is good enough for me. Im sure though that some basement powerusers are too leet to deal with this so the go 100% hipster and tell another story on phoronix. Well I guess Im gonna stick with the proven business succes here, sorry if that means Im less leet than you

    2. Yes this is effectly a lockin on Linux. But what is wrong with that? Sure it hits a snag when debian is trying be distroing everything but the kitchensink.

    3. Systemds fast boot is more than a gimmick. It will cause less down time in unforseen events and during upgrades. Thats fine but nothing special. Having fast boot is the prime feature for infotainment systems in eg. cars. When you start the car, you expect feedback within 3 seconds. That is easy on systemd. Go look at the documentation and tools. It is a pleasure.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randomizer View Post
    The problem with extensions is that they are hacks which are tightly coupled to a version of GNOME.
    1. Some are coupled with a version of GNOME.
    2. Same as all the millions of custom GUI's or additions in MMORPG and other games (I find this idea brilliant by GNOME btw.)
    3. And other DE have these gadgets or widgets and other stuff they add onto the desktop?

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    313

    Default Gnome3 and SystemD

    Hi *!

    Gnome works quite fine without SystemD. I use Gnome 3.4 on gentoo and there is no trace of systemd installed at all.

    BTW. From my point of view Gnome3 is faster than Gnome2 -- faster startup and faster to work with, as much more is controllable via keyboard. Hell, even application startup only requires a keypress less: <Windows> + the first few letters of the app + return. On gnome2 it was <Alt>+<F2> + first few letters + return after some (short) time period, until the list of apps was generated.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Yes but if you like your mouse it's a king size pain in the fucking ass. Switching between applications with the mouse is so horrible.
    I read the whole thread and all your posts. Yet, I don't see your point. Moving the mouse to the top left corner is fast and clicking a large thumbnail of a window is also fast due to it's size. If you want it really fast, however, use the keyboard. <Alt><Tab> is your friend. I know that you don't have your keyboard with you all the time. But what could you do what needs a fast window switching, but no keyboard input?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •