Thread: VIA Kernel Mode-Setting Still Not Ready For Mainline

Default VIA Kernel Mode-Setting Still Not Ready For Mainline

Phoronix: VIA Kernel Mode-Setting Still Not Ready For Mainline

It's been several months since having anything to report on the state of VIA graphics under Linux. VIA hasn't been doing anything officially to better their Linux support and the "OpenChrome" development community is quite limited and small. While the long-in-development OpenChrome DRM driver for providing VIA kernel mode-setting support has yet to be merged into the mainline code-base, it's still being developed...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIyNjM

VIA support is STILL not there and Michael STILL keeps reporting it and the public pretty much STILL doesn't care and won't care cause VIA is dead.

Default Via is dead

VIA graphics were only used on laptops.

Now modern Intel and AMD processors come with an integrated GPU, so you won't be seeing any new hardware with VIA graphics.

Not only, I have htpc on via nano and I do care about openchrome. The only problem I have is that I have no idea how graphic cards work, so i can only contribute by debugging/patching obvious things.
    So - keep up the track and hopefully we''l reach the point. Btw right now Simon patched EDID stuff - will try if my TV can now be seen by openchrome

Quote Originally Posted by ruff View Post
    Not only, I have htpc on via nano and I do care about openchrome. The only problem I have is that I have no idea how graphic cards work, so i can only contribute by debugging/patching obvious things.
    So - keep up the track and hopefully we''l reach the point. Btw right now Simon patched EDID stuff - will try if my TV can now be seen by openchrome

i have also a motherboard with via processor, via ve-900 with dual core via nano,via vx900 and I'm very happy to use linux on this
    http://www.e-itx.com/ve-900.html

I know of a good hand full of tower desktops at schools that have via gpu.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    VIA graphics were only used on laptops.

Now modern Intel and AMD processors come with an integrated GPU, so you won't be seeing any new hardware with VIA graphics.
    VIA, back when they were still relevant about 5+ years ago, had hardware came on almost everything with integrated graphics, including desktops that had expandability to a dedicated GPU.