Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Linux Consumers Should Still Avoid S3 Graphics

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,393

    Default Linux Consumers Should Still Avoid S3 Graphics

    Phoronix: Linux Consumers Should Still Avoid S3 Graphics

    Whenever writing about VIA Technologies on Phoronix, S3 Graphics always comes to mind due to its relations with HTC and VIA. In fact, it's the only time that S3 Graphics usually ever comes to my mind aside from when talking about S3 Texture Compression. Anyhow, after writing this morning about the VIA KMS driver still not being mainline, it's worth reminding uninformed Linux users that S3 Graphics products remain poorly supported under Linux...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIyNjU

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,516

    Default

    Basically there is no graphics card that Linux consumers "should" buy. Every offer, FOSS or not, has its own set of problems sadly.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in front of my box :p
    Posts
    732

    Default

    Um, not much of news here. Still sad since I wouldn't be surprised if HTC uses some of these Chips in their mobile phones and that would be a much larger number probably than the installations of these chips in "real" computers.
    But then, as 89c51 stated, about nothing out there is hassle free.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    Basically there is no graphics card that Linux consumers "should" buy. Every offer, FOSS or not, has its own set of problems sadly.
    From the FOSS point of view, I would say:
    1. Intel
    2. AMD
    3. nVidia (not due to the company support but the availability)

    From the FOSS and speed/technology point of view, I would say:
    1. AMD (love the APU chips)
    2. Intel
    3. nVidia (not due to the company support but the availability)

    From the Linux driver support (any form of driver) point of view:
    1. nVidia
    2. Intel
    3. AMD

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    415

    Default

    I have an S3 and it works fine thank you very much.

    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86c764/765 [Trio32/64/64V+]

    (server refuses to post without 'a' video adapter).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oliver View Post
    I have an S3 and it works fine thank you very much.

    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86c764/765 [Trio32/64/64V+]

    (server refuses to post without 'a' video adapter).
    How is matrox support?

    0d:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. MGA G200e [Pilot] ServerEngines (SEP1) (rev 02)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disi View Post
    From the FOSS point of view, I would say:
    1. Intel
    2. AMD
    3. nVidia (not due to the company support but the availability)

    From the FOSS and speed/technology point of view, I would say:
    1. AMD (love the APU chips)
    2. Intel
    3. nVidia (not due to the company support but the availability)

    From the Linux driver support (any form of driver) point of view:
    1. nVidia
    2. Intel
    3. AMD
    I don't disagree but still every solution has its problems. ie Intel is slow, amd lacks features (PM Video) etc etc. There is no card that is fast, feature complete and FOSS.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disi View Post
    How is matrox support?

    0d:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. MGA G200e [Pilot] ServerEngines (SEP1) (rev 02)
    Install CoreBoot, there even cpu and memory are not requiredto start the system (but you won't be running an os without the two.).
    Last edited by AJenbo; 11-12-2012 at 06:19 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    I don't disagree but still every solution has its problems. ie Intel is slow, amd lacks features (PM Video) etc etc. There is no card that is fast, feature complete and FOSS.
    I agree with the list, I think it reflects no one being perfect since one one holds a top position for more then one criteria.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oliver View Post
    I have an S3 and it works fine thank you very much.

    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86c764/765 [Trio32/64/64V+]

    (server refuses to post without 'a' video adapter).
    S3 trio. Holy crap, what is that, about 400 years old? Does it fit in an 8 bit ISA slot?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •