Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 49

Thread: Features Coming In For The GNOME 3.8 Desktop

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    south east
    Posts
    341

    Default I'll Bite

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    You are even more stupid than the other guy. KDE 4.0 was forced on no one. KDE 3.5.9 and 3.5.10 were released after 4.0 and 4.1 because both 4.0 & 4.1 were considered tech previews and no distributor (except Fedora but that's cutting edge anyway) shipped KDE 4.0 by default. Kubuntu had a special KDE 4.0 remix next to the main KDE3-based one. openSUSE presented its users this desktop selection screen: http://old-en.opensuse.org/File:OS11.0-inst-6.jpg It a) gives the users the choice between both and b) clearly states that KDE 4.0 is not mature!
    Mandriva, Debian, etc. didn't switch to KDE4 before 4.2.

    So you shut the fuck up with your lies, idiot!

    If anybody does not like the workflows of Gnome Shell, Plasma Desktop, etc., fine. Simply don't use them, don't spread lies, and piss off to Windows.
    Actually it was forced on everyone!
    Ubuntu/Kubuntu forced it
    Suse forced it
    Fedora forced it.

    I mean shit, you had the choice of not upgrading but support drops after a while.

    Even Arch forced it.
    Slackware? Forced! But not before some old regulars let Volkerding hold it.

    Choice of new software is fixed like most elections.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squirrl View Post
    Actually it was forced on everyone!
    Ubuntu/Kubuntu forced it
    Suse forced it
    Fedora forced it.

    I mean shit, you had the choice of not upgrading but support drops after a while.

    Even Arch forced it.
    Slackware? Forced! But not before some old regulars let Volkerding hold it.

    Choice of new software is fixed like most elections.
    openSUSE offered KDE 3 until openSUSE 11.2 and KDE 4.3. Even then 3.5.10 was still available to install from the repositories. After that with it being the last maintained KDE 3 release, I really don't know what else you could expect of them.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squirrl View Post
    Choice of new software is fixed like most elections.
    And you'd rather fix the election so we'd only get old software?

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larian View Post
    As for KDE, my first experience was with a Kubuntu distro during my first year of college. The layout was very Windows-like, but that meant it was easy for new users to pick up because it resembled something they were familiar with. My OS at the time was Ubuntu 6.04 (I think), and I was already grooving to the GNOME way of doing things, but the KDE machine was still usable.

    Then we upgraded the machine to the 4.X release. Big mistake. It was an unwieldy mess and it turned me off of KDE, because if this was were it was going, neither I nor anyone else in the lab wanted any part of it. I understand it's gotten better (and I have it installed on this very machine), but I haven't spent time with it to check.
    Nobody with half a brain will get fooled by your attempt to cover up your lie by now writing “4.X” instead your original 4.0 lie.
    The fact remains and I repeat: Kubuntu never ever forced KDE 4.0 on anyone because Kubuntu 8.04’s main release shipped KDE 3.5. KDE 4.0 was only available as an unsupported Kubuntu Remix. Proof: http://www.kubuntu.org/news/8.04-release
    If your college’s IT department chose to install that remix onto production machines, they are a bunch of retarded monkeys.

    BTW: GNOME Shell is written in JavaScript and can easily be extended. Therefore is more configurable than any GNOME 2.x version ever released.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Over there somewhere
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Nobody with half a brain will get fooled by your attempt to cover up your lie by now writing “4.X” instead your original 4.0 lie.
    The fact remains and I repeat: Kubuntu never ever forced KDE 4.0 on anyone because Kubuntu 8.04’s main release shipped KDE 3.5. KDE 4.0 was only available as an unsupported Kubuntu Remix. Proof: http://www.kubuntu.org/news/8.04-release
    If your college’s IT department chose to install that remix onto production machines, they are a bunch of retarded monkeys.

    BTW: GNOME Shell is written in JavaScript and can easily be extended. Therefore is more configurable than any GNOME 2.x version ever released.
    I am now convinced of your mental deterioration.

    I haven't given KDE a spin since 4.0 because it was a disaster. It was every bit as usable and customizable as GNOME 3 when it was first forced on people.
    I never said 4.0 was forced on anyone. I said GNOME 3 was. Of KDE 4, I said it was a disaster. I also made it plain in a later post that we voluntarily decided to try out the latest and greatest KDE and didn't like what we saw.

    I do look forward to your next failed attempt to twist my words into something I never said. I suspect it will hinge on my use of "4.0 / 4.X". But here's a nice nugget for you in the meantime: My first experience with the KDE 4 branch sucked dick. Your championing of it makes me like it even less.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larian View Post
    I never said 4.0 was forced on anyone. I said GNOME 3 was. Of KDE 4, I said it was a disaster. I also made it plain in a later post that we voluntarily decided to try out the latest and greatest KDE and didn't like what we saw.
    You was not supposed to use 4.0 in a production environment. It was the latest but certainly not the greatest version in that time.
    Last edited by Akka; 11-14-2012 at 07:49 PM.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Over there somewhere
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    You was not supposed to use 4.0 in a production environment.
    This machine was never intended to be used for serious work. In fact, this computer wasn't even in the lab offices, but rather in the SPS lounge downstairs where we hung out.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    openSUSE offered KDE 3 until openSUSE 11.2 and KDE 4.3. Even then 3.5.10 was still available to install from the repositories. After that with it being the last maintained KDE 3 release, I really don't know what else you could expect of them.
    openSUSE offers KDE3 now, as of openSUSE 12.2. Not on the install screen, but from the main repository.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larian View Post
    [...]
    I never said 4.0 was forced on anyone. I said GNOME 3 was. [...]
    That is not true either. Apart from Fedora and openSUSE the most popular distributions just dropped Gnome 3. You are free to use Unity, Mate or Cinnamon.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Over there somewhere
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrin View Post
    That is not true either. Apart from Fedora and openSUSE the most popular distributions just dropped Gnome 3. You are free to use Unity, Mate or Cinnamon.
    Now we're down to semantics I'm afraid. When you upgraded to a fresh install of an OS, such as Mint 12, you got Gnome3 as the default. I would call that being forced upon me. Of course I could install my preference afterward (and I did in the case of Ubuntu 12.04), but an upgrade from a previous Ubuntu to the latest LTS resulted in my old Gnome 2 desktop going away in favor of Gnome 3. It took considerable tinkering with fallback mode to get things mostly how I had them before.

    Long story short, when you break my desktop experience by presenting me with a UI that I never wanted after begging me to upgrade, that's bad.

    It strikes me that your argument about being free to use alternate DE's is functionally equivalent to denying Microsoft's vendor lock-in strategy. You can, after all, use another OS, so you're not being forced to use .Net or DirectX. Or in the Linux world, Canonical never forced the use of PulseAudio on anybody either, because you could always do a LOT of work and install OSS or finagle pure ALSA into working. Just fine. You know, like it did BEFORE they "improved" the audio stack by making PA the default and releasing it before it was ready.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •