Thread: GCC 4.8 Has More Optimizations

Default GCC 4.8 Has More Optimizations

Phoronix: GCC 4.8 Has More Optimizations

The GCC 4.8 compiler when released in early 2013 will have a number of new optimizations...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIyODA

Default Nice...

I like flto optimisation adn cleanup, likewise wrt to linking, also steamroller support...

I have a bunch of packages that I just couldn't compile with -flto under gcc-4.7.2 because at final linking compiler croaked with error report of multiple definition of some symbols and missing others...

I hope 4-8.0 comes with that stuff sorted out...

What?​fgregergesrger

Tough one... Name suggests instant spambot, but the posts are semi-coherent and even on topic.

I say it's an advanced AI.

Quote Originally Posted by Brane215 View Post
    I like flto optimisation adn cleanup, likewise wrt to linking, also steamroller support...

I have a bunch of packages that I just couldn't compile with -flto under gcc-4.7.2 because at final linking compiler croaked with error report of multiple definition of some symbols and missing others...

I hope 4-8.0 comes with that stuff sorted out...
    Yes, the multiple definition/missing symbols should be solved by the partitioning rewrite. It would be nice to give a try now and fill in bugs. -flto still suffers from relatively low user base and thus low test coverage.

Not all missing symbols are GCC bugs however. ASM statements using global vars/variables needs an annotation to let compiler know that the vars/functions are used. This works w/o LTO (and w/o -fwhole-program) just because compiler has to assume that every externally visible var/function is used.