Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 12 of 12

Thread: Unity 4.0 Game Engine Released

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XorEaxEax View Post
    Not really my type of game but I think I'll back this anyway because the graphics look so damn good (yes I'm that shallow), almost hypnotic.
    The cool part: Everything you see is programmer art created by Jason Nollan in Blender. With funding, they can now hire a skilled modeler and texture artists and increase the detail and quality significantly (while keeping the same hypnotic aesthetic that the concept artist put together for them). It's really hard to tell that it isn't already professional art. Jason did most of the art for their student game Nitronic Rush, which was gorgeous for a student game, but nowhere close to as gorgeous as Distance is.

    And again trying to vaguely keep it on topic: Unity 4 helps a ton with the art pipeline and effects sides of things being taken care of already. I've got a mile-long list of complaints with Unity, but all around it's the best engine out there for small- to middle-sized projects, and is increasingly usable for AAA projects as well.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    The cool part: Everything you see is programmer art created by Jason Nollan in Blender.
    That IS impressive, I think I'm having a mancrush on this guy, it's either that or hate his multi-talent out of pure jealosy.

    Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    With funding, they can now hire a skilled modeler and texture artists and increase the detail and quality significantly (while keeping the same hypnotic aesthetic that the concept artist put together for them). It's really hard to tell that it isn't already professional art.
    Yes it certainly is. To bad they can't use the funding to clone Jason Nollan

    Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    And again trying to vaguely keep it on topic: Unity 4 helps a ton with the art pipeline and effects sides of things being taken care of already. I've got a mile-long list of complaints with Unity, but all around it's the best engine out there for small- to middle-sized projects, and is increasingly usable for AAA projects as well.
    Given how Unity is doing very well in a field where it's just one of many offers (not to mention that many developers 'roll-their-own') they are obviously doing lots of things right.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •