Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2012 GNOME User Survey Begins, Take It Now

Default The 2012 GNOME User Survey Begins, Take It Now

Phoronix: The 2012 GNOME User Survey Begins, Take It Now

It's time for the annual GNOME User Survey to solicit feedback from Linux desktop users about their views on the GNOME desktop, preferences about Linux desktop features, and other topics. Please take a few minutes to complete this brief survey...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIyOTQ

Default I miss when GNOME were usable

I miss when GNOME were usable.

GNOME Shell in GNOME 3 is just weird and stupid.
    It forces me to work the way it wants me to instead of just let me do my thing.
    It has too many clicks to get things done.

Also, I think the developers just want to make a weird new interface to write on their resumé that they pioneered innovative UI and UX research.

They throw out accepted UX patterns in favor of their own untested UX ideas that nobody want.

Just gonna post mine now...

Bring the GTK3 enhancements to the Gnome2 layout and drop Gnome-Shell like you would a bad date with a herpes sore.

I agree!
    GTK 3 is good!
    It's just GNOME Shell that sucks!

Yeah, I don't care any more either. I hate the new Gnome Shell, and it's obvious they aren't gonna change it. I'm running in fallback mode since Gnome 3, so I guess it's XFCE or KDE for me next

Gnome-Shell animations and overall experience doesn't feel as fluid as OSX and Windows 8 overall experience, even though it's a not so important detail, fluid animations would give users the feel like they are using something that is "complete".

A survey by Gnome 3 haters for Gnome 3 haters... I wonder what the results will be?

As you have listed all the common anti gnome 3 opinions in convenient tick boxes (and non of the positive) perhaps you could do the same with the problems with gnome 2 to help 'advise' the devs to avoid regressions... bad hot keys, inability to search through apps by typing, comparatively weak customization... hell, it's almost as is if gnome 2 was designed with a keyboard free tablet in mind rather than being usable on a real desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevertime View Post
    As you have listed all the common anti gnome 3 opinions in convenient tick boxes (and non of the positive) perhaps you could do the same with the problems with gnome 2 to help 'advise' the devs to avoid regressions... bad hot keys, inability to search through apps by typing, comparatively weak customization... hell, it's almost as is if gnome 2 was designed with a keyboard free tablet in mind rather than being usable on a real desktop.
    Funny, that, isn't it? Gnome Shell gets criticized for being a touch-oriented tablet UI, even though it has *vastly* improved keyboard support over it's predecessor. Most of the oft-cited usability regressions are actually to do with stuff done with the mouse, and are things that would be just as bad on a touch screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    Funny, that, isn't it? Gnome Shell gets criticized for being a touch-oriented tablet UI, even though it has *vastly* improved keyboard support over it's predecessor.
    Then try gnome on a new laptop. Many have touch displays. Thats mouse+keyboard+touch now. Gnome is not a tablet OS it is an OS fitting 2012.

the only thing that i like about gnome 3 is the classic desktop. lol which is quite good. still gnome 3 brand sucks shame on the devs being a bunch retards that doesn't listen.