Thread: Mesa installation on Linux

Hybrid View

Question Mesa installation on Linux

Hi,

I am trying to install and use VTK on my 32-bit linux machine (EC2 instance on AWS).
    I was getting an error which i realized was because I did not have openGL/Mesa installed on my machine.
    So i installed Mesa using the following command: sudo apt-get install mesa-common-dev
    Now, I dont know where mesa is installed on my machine. There is no folder 'mesa' in /usr/lib/ and there is no libGl.so anywhere.
    Can anybody please tell me how to proceed further?

Thanks,
    Shripad D

On my system (Ubuntu 12.10) the OpenGL loader is in /usr/lib/x86-linux-gnu/mesa** if that helps... file name is libGL.so.1.2.0 so an exact match might miss it.

That said, I think the mesa-common-dev package contains what you need to write OpenGL applications, not the mesa driver itself. Hold on a minute and I'll try to find the right package.

EDIT -- OK, for Ubuntu the libgl1-mesa-glx package contains libgl.so while the libgl1-mesa-dri package contains the hardware accelerated drivers.

** /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa for 32-bit
    Last edited by bridgman; 11-15-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    On my system (Ubuntu 12.10) the OpenGL loader is in /usr/lib/x86-linux-gnu/mesa** if that helps... file name is libGL.so.1.2.0 so an exact match might miss it.

That said, I think the mesa-common-dev package contains what you need to write OpenGL applications, not the mesa driver itself. Hold on a minute and I'll try to find the right package.

EDIT -- OK, for Ubuntu the libgl1-mesa-glx package contains libgl.so while the libgl1-mesa-dri package contains the hardware accelerated drivers.

** /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa for 32-bit
    Thanks for the reply, but I am still unable to locate the mesa directory. It is not present in either of the locations you mentioned.
    Can you tell me how to install it manually, I tried doing that but I am unable to build using ./configure.
    If you can help me get precompiled libraries for mesa, that would be great too.

Thanks,
    Shripad D

Did you install (or remove and reinstall if already there) the two additional packages I mentioned ?

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Did you install (or remove and reinstall if already there) the two additional packages I mentioned ?
    I am so sorry I wasted your time, I was trying to look for that folder without installing the package.
    I have the libGL.so.1 now, I can proceed further with VTK installation.
    Thanks a lot for your help and sorry again.

Thanks,
    Shripad D

No problem. When I read my earlier post it wasn't very clear at all that you should try loading more packages. Glad you have the lib now.