Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Netflix Comes To Linux Via Silverlight On Patched Wine

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,294

    Default Netflix Comes To Linux Via Silverlight On Patched Wine

    Phoronix: Netflix Comes To Linux Via Silverlight On Patched Wine

    Netflix video streaming is now available on Linux through the use of Wine. When running a specially patched version of Wine in conjunction with the Microsoft Windows versions of Firefox and Microsoft Silverlight, Netflix can now do Internet video streaming to the Linux desktop...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIyOTc

  2. #2

    Default

    Too bad Firefox is on 16.0.2 now and Silverlight is crap...

    Wont be too many takers with the way they want to do this.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Given that Firefox uses out of process plugins, Silverlight is an NPAPI plugin, and nspluginwrapper can allow browsers to use plugins of a different architecture, is it feasible for someone to code a plugin wrapper that allows Windows-dependent browser plugins to be run through wine but interact with the native Firefox? What would the technical hurdles be in doing so? The biggest obstacle I can think of is that wine isn't made to be able to work like that, but designs might be able to work around that, like having a fake browser running in wine that forwards the data over a socket to be received by a native NPAPI plugin listening on that socket.

    Thoughts?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Perth, Scotland
    Posts
    435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BwackNinja View Post
    Given that Firefox uses out of process plugins, Silverlight is an NPAPI plugin, and nspluginwrapper can allow browsers to use plugins of a different architecture, is it feasible for someone to code a plugin wrapper that allows Windows-dependent browser plugins to be run through wine but interact with the native Firefox? What would the technical hurdles be in doing so? The biggest obstacle I can think of is that wine isn't made to be able to work like that, but designs might be able to work around that, like having a fake browser running in wine that forwards the data over a socket to be received by a native NPAPI plugin listening on that socket.

    Thoughts?
    It's certainly been done before by CrossOver. I was wondering the same thing but I don't know whether the DRM would get in the way.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,000

    Default Netflix idiots

    Omg, how can Netflix be so stupid to use Silverlight?
    It is only microsoft.com and netflix that use Silverlight, LOL!
    Nobody wants that shit!

    Also, why don't they use Flash too, it sucks as bad as Silverlight, probably worse, but at least its widespread.

    Who was the idiot in charge at Netflix who decided that they should use Silverlight?
    And how much did he get payed to make that idiotic decision?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,000

    Default ThePirateBay

    Also, why should I pay AND get DRM and being limited to Windows and Silverlight?
    That is getting fucked in the ass twice or thrice!
    You're paying to get fucked in the ass.

    No thanks, I'll just use The Pirate Bay instead and get movies free, fast, convenient and without DRM. Play it at any device, at any system, at any time. Anywhere, whenever.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Netflix Comes To Linux Via Silverlight On Patched Wine

    Netflix video streaming is now available on Linux through the use of Wine. When running a specially patched version of Wine in conjunction with the Microsoft Windows versions of Firefox and Microsoft Silverlight, Netflix can now do Internet video streaming to the Linux desktop...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIyOTc

    Obviously they aren't tied too closely with silverlight otherwise they wouldn't offer Netflix on android.
    This is really assholey of them.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liam View Post
    Obviously they aren't tied too closely with silverlight otherwise they wouldn't offer Netflix on android.
    This is really assholey of them.
    they aren't being assholey. they don't write software for charity. if it made dollars, they would do it. they aren't just gonna support it because of GNU morality. not to mention that linux support is a nightmare of different distros with different versions of the same upstream software. it is much harder to track bugs for say debian kde vs. arch with lxde. they have different libraries with different versions of pulseaudio, gtk+, qt4, glibc, gcc, x.org, mesa. i remember avast having different bugs on different versions of ubuntu, but working fine in rhel and debian.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garegin View Post
    they aren't being assholey. they don't write software for charity. if it made dollars, they would do it. they aren't just gonna support it because of GNU morality. not to mention that linux support is a nightmare of different distros with different versions of the same upstream software. it is much harder to track bugs for say debian kde vs. arch with lxde. they have different libraries with different versions of pulseaudio, gtk+, qt4, glibc, gcc, x.org, mesa. i remember avast having different bugs on different versions of ubuntu, but working fine in rhel and debian.
    Same argument can be applied to Steam... it doesn't hold much worth and you can use it freely on a variety of discussions.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    And the solution is.... "yum remove wine*".

    They can keep their DRM CRAP.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •