Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux 3.7 File-System Benchmarks: EXT4, Btrfs, XFS

Default Linux 3.7 File-System Benchmarks: EXT4, Btrfs, XFS

Phoronix: Linux 3.7 File-System Benchmarks: EXT4, Btrfs, XFS

In this article are benchmarks of the latest Linux 3.7 kernel development code of the EXT4, XFS, and Btrfs file-systems.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18153

Is the kernel getting slower each release? (except the graphics stack)

Thanks for the HDD tests in future.

Quote Originally Posted by bachinchi View Post
    Is the kernel getting slower each release? (except the graphics stack)
    Huh?
    I did a fast count and its seems that the number of benchmarks won by 3.7 outweigh the number of benchmarks lost. (7:3 in the case of ext4)
    I'd take btrfs out of the equation until its reaches a stable status (mid-development-code tends to be performance regression happy).

- Gilboa

Thanks for the benchmarks. It looks like ext4 continues to perform better than btrfs even on SSDs (which in theory should be btrfs' strong point)...
    BTW I'd like to see a comparison between the last kernel releases (3.7 vs 3.6 vs 3.5...)

Is there any news of FTRFS : Fractal Tree FS , by TokuDB ?
    Last i heard was their presentation of FTRFS on some DB convention in june/july. Its supposed to be the thing for next gen DB's.

any ideas as of why XFS would perform so much worse in the Threaded I/O Tester v0.3.3 test comparing to the 3.5 kernel?

Default Hard to compare

I've tried both Ext4 and Btrfs on my laptops Samsung SSD and found that Btrfs with compression and discard works the best for me. Certainly the benchmarks from last year prove the compression with Btrfs vastly improves performance:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...lzo_2638&num=2

Quote Originally Posted by Nextweek View Post
    Certainly the benchmarks from last year prove the compression with Btrfs vastly improves performance:
    No, they prove nothing of the sort. All they prove is that if you are writing a stream of zeros to your drive, the performance will be better with compression. With real data that does not compress so easily, the performance will be completely different than the benchmarks.

Question Could you provide reference?

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    No, they prove nothing of the sort. All they prove is that if you are writing a stream of zeros to your drive, the performance will be better with compression. With real data that does not compress so easily, the performance will be completely different than the benchmarks.
    It is considered inappropriate to claim something without a reference, could you link me to where it says that the tests were just streams of zeros?