Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux 3.7 File-System Benchmarks: EXT4, Btrfs, XFS

So where in this test do you think Michael hit those performance-losses a SSD can show due to too heavy wear?

Quote Originally Posted by Nextweek View Post
    could you link me to where it says that the tests were just streams of zeros?
    Name a benchmark that you are interested in, and if you lack the basic google skills to look it up, I will help you.

Btrfs decides whether or not something is worth compressing and only compresses it if it is worth it.

EDIT:
    Well it's a parameter you can pass, at least. I think this is the default behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Nextweek View Post
    It is considered inappropriate to claim something without a reference, could you link me to where it says that the tests were just streams of zeros?
    The code for 3 different FS benchmark utilites I inspected myself say so.

Basically any benchmark that doesn't write just stream of zeros is "a bit" vocal about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    No, they prove nothing of the sort. All they prove is that if you are writing a stream of zeros to your drive, the performance will be better with compression. With real data that does not compress so easily, the performance will be completely different than the benchmarks.
    Yep, and don't most modern SSD's do some kind of compression at the firmware level anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by bwat47 View Post
    Yep, and don't most modern SSD's do some kind of compression at the firmware level anyway?
    Not most - some (AFAIR SandForce based chipsets).

- Gilboa