Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Steam Linux Beta Opens Up To More Gamers

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,653

    Default Steam Linux Beta Opens Up To More Gamers

    Phoronix: Steam Linux Beta Opens Up To More Gamers

    Prior to going on their Thanksgiving holiday, Valve's Linux cabal opened up the Steam Linux Beta program to an additional five-thousand applicants...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIzNDA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default Steam on Sabayon x64 core i-7 nvidia gtx275

    The Steam fail start after install and update with error message "Failed to load steamui.so..."
    And Steam it's 32 bit application only?

  3. #3

    Default

    And I am not amongst those applicants! Doesn't matter, though. As long as more knowledgeable folks make it a better product, then I will continue to wait patiently.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FutureSuture View Post
    And I am not amongst those applicants! Doesn't matter, though. As long as more knowledgeable folks make it a better product, then I will continue to wait patiently.
    To me, that's exactly the problem - I'm sure at LEAST 1/4 of the applicants mainly just use Windows and another 1/4 just applied to it because they can but probably don't use it a whole lot.

    What bothers me is if you're not apart of the beta testers, you can still download Steam but it'll refuse to continue. I think it should still work whether you are signed up or not, but rather your opinion just doesn't matter to Valve.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Strange, am not part of the beta but been using steam since day 1

    Been playing TF2 for the last 2 days +

    World of goo, Amnesia and what not have worked since day 1 also

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    To me, that's exactly the problem - I'm sure at LEAST 1/4 of the applicants mainly just use Windows and another 1/4 just applied to it because they can but probably don't use it a whole lot.

    What bothers me is if you're not apart of the beta testers, you can still download Steam but it'll refuse to continue. I think it should still work whether you are signed up or not, but rather your opinion just doesn't matter to Valve.
    There is a way to start steam client and use it to play and install games even without being the chosen one(for private beta). If you are really so impatient, you should be able to find it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,678

    Default

    @konko

    You need nvidia 32 bit drivers. Also it would not hurt when you install libpci3 32 bit for SS3.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    25

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by konkor View Post
    The Steam fail start after install and update with error message "Failed to load steamui.so..."
    And Steam it's 32 bit application only?
    Linux has spoilt us users for many years now with a fairly consistent and mostly 64 bit experience. So it feels a little 20th century to be running 32 bit apps these days. I am on Ubuntu 12.10 64bit. The client runs fine for me. I can't say that the 32bit-ness noticeably interferes with my enjoyment of Steam games on linux. Or at least, the 32bit-ness isn't noticeable over the beta-ness of the release.

    I would have much preferred a "Steam Channel" in Ubuntu's software centre. This to me makes more sense as a user but I can see that would make no sense to Valve. Still, I am eternally grateful for Valve's efforts and look forward to devoting large sums of money to indulge my linux and gaming addiction without the need to reboot. And the future of Linux as a desktop platform just got brighter.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,678

    Default

    Well parts of the client are prepared to get a 64 bit update. Check
    Code:
    readlink ~/.steam/bin64
    But it is not available right now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •