Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Intel Driver Changes Building Up For Linux 3.8 Kernel

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,659

    Default Intel Driver Changes Building Up For Linux 3.8 Kernel

    Phoronix: Intel Driver Changes Building Up For Linux 3.8 Kernel

    The Intel DRM graphics driver in the Linux 3.8 kernel will feature a number of user-facing changes...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIzNDE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Planning on getting new pc. I thought about going intel+nvidia desktop. Does Optimus or similar technology work for desktop pc's?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tehehe View Post
    Planning on getting new pc. I thought about going intel+nvidia desktop. Does Optimus or similar technology work for desktop pc's?
    Immediate answer? No.

    Answer with the next xorg release? More so... Kinda sorta.

    Answer whenever Nvidia writes its own version of DMA-BUF? Yes.


    If you want a more detailed answer google "linux nvidia bumblebee"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,679

    Default

    I don't think it would work when nvidia would write a new variant of DMA-BUF, sure they could create a gpl stub driver that just exports the symbols they need but that sounds a bit crazy. There is another trick that is possible that you don't use the real exports but calculate the positions in the Makefile, that would go around the problem but this hack is most likely not allowed as well. So the only way to officially support optimus would be when all kernel developers would allow the use of it via a non-gpl only export - when you look at the last discussion that's unlikely as major kernel developers have got moral problems with that. It's clear that pragmatic owners of such laptops think different.

    Ok, there are userspace solutions if you want to call that solution. It might work for some kind of apps but will most likely fail for others.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Answer whenever Nvidia writes its own version of DMA-BUF? Yes.
    All they need to do is to stop being greedy and release the drivers as open source like Intel does.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by varikonniemi View Post
    All they need to do is to stop being greedy and release the drivers as open source like Intel does.
    Yes, "all" they need to do is that.

    *rolls eyes*

    This ignorant naivete on Phoronix is really, well, eye-roll worthy. If it was so simple as you want it to be, AMD wouldn't be writing a separate open-source driver that lacks proper power management and other stuff, "all" they'd do is open source Catalyst. But we're not in rainbows-and-unicorns-phoronix-land where it's about some sort of "greed", we're in this place called reality.

    Also, read the last comment here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/10024285...ts/1oJx7t7JWXh

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    SuperUserLand
    Posts
    538

    Default

    Hey INTEL

    do not just focus on haswell and all your new shit

    don't forget to improve support for the gma's and the gm 45 (this one is quite popular)

    don't pull a ati on us

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by varikonniemi View Post
    All they need to do is to stop being greedy and release the drivers as open source like Intel does.
    Oh, and one more thing:

    Intel does not release their driver as open source, as you say. They too have a separate open driver that is slower (the performance difference is not as big as with AMD and Nvidia though) and has less features (no opengl 4, which their closed driver does have). The only difference is, Intel does not release their closed driver for Linux, at least not publicly.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
    Yes, "all" they need to do is that.

    *rolls eyes*

    This ignorant naivete on Phoronix is really, well, eye-roll worthy. If it was so simple as you want it to be, AMD wouldn't be writing a separate open-source driver that lacks proper power management and other stuff, "all" they'd do is open source Catalyst. But we're not in rainbows-and-unicorns-phoronix-land where it's about some sort of "greed", we're in this place called reality.

    Also, read the last comment here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/10024285...ts/1oJx7t7JWXh
    Legal limitations and DRM are the codifications of greed. It may not come directly from nVidia but greed by proxy is still greed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •