Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 108

Thread: What Linux Users Need To Know When Holiday Shopping For PC Hardware

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D0pamine View Post
    one is shit and the other is not, it really is that simple!
    Where's my high-quality hardware deinterlaced and hardware decoded video with the nouveau driver? Not there. I also can't use nouveau on my old laptop, because it fries the graphic card, I've seen the temp go up to 90 degrees. So I could say "one is shit and the other is not" but which is which would be the opposite of how you meant it. It really is that simple, right?
    (PS. I don't think nouveau is shit. But nevertheless, it's not in a state that I could use it).


    Quote Originally Posted by ElderSnake View Post
    Anyway, more to original topic (which not surprisingly has deviated way off ), I'm excited about looking for hardware that actually supports Linux or at least is well supported in the Linux world. For years, like many people I imagine, I've always had hardware that was originally just your typical Windows PC, gaming system etc which I chucked Linux distros on.
    Which, credit to how far Linux hardware support has come, has always worked fine for me. But I've never actually aimed to buy hardware known to be completely compatible with Linux.
    Very similar here. And because of this there will be no "holiday shopping" for me even though I'd like a new netbook. But I'm not buying CedarView stuff.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    I use technology that works for me. If <insert name of unhelpful corporate giant> or <insert name of unhelpful individual foss contributer> doesn't create technology that is useful to me then I don't use it simple as that.



    I do use Apple stuff when it does the job that I need it to do, same with my using of linux, windows, bsd. If it doesn't work to my needs I don't use that technology for that task. Simple as that. I really could care less about the politics of any of them.
    So you don't care of freedom. If everyone were like you, then there would be no other choise than to use what $ and apple chose to push on the markets to maximise their profits. You could of course still say you have freedom to chose what you use.

    Luckily there were enough people to make the difference. They cared of freedom, and thanks to them we have Free Operating System clean of spyware and artificial restrictions, which you can use to do whatever you want.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
    Where's my high-quality hardware deinterlaced and hardware decoded video with the nouveau driver? Not there. I also can't use nouveau on my old laptop, because it fries the graphic card, I've seen the temp go up to 90 degrees. So I could say "one is shit and the other is not" but which is which would be the opposite of how you meant it. It really is that simple, right?
    (PS. I don't think nouveau is shit. But nevertheless, it's not in a state that I could use it).


    Very similar here. And because of this there will be no "holiday shopping" for me even though I'd like a new netbook. But I'm not buying CedarView stuff.
    and yet your incredibly highly tuned consumer products cannot do simple kernel mode switching using the proprietary drivers

    I do believe the issues you have with the nouveau driver are caused by lack of information released by the corporate giant rather than the free way of doing things which infact has created the rest of the system you are using

    Dear santa
    I want a raspberry pi and a remote controlled helicopter so i can create my very own UAV

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D0pamine View Post
    and yet your incredibly highly tuned consumer products cannot do simple kernel mode switching using the proprietary drivers
    You should inform yourself better. Nvidia has had modesetting in the kernel since way before KMS existed. (cue the predictable "how come there's no high-res console then" - that's about something different from modesetting, search the forums, I've had this discussion before already).

    Then, the processor you're using in your machine is also a "highly tuned consumer product". Same for the hard-drive and other components. So, how does it feel to be an "arse kissing" consumer?

    Quote Originally Posted by D0pamine View Post
    I do believe the issues you have with the nouveau driver are caused by lack of information released by the corporate giant rather than the free way of doing things which infact has created the rest of the system you are using
    The radeon driver isn't in any better position. But whatever the reasons - fact is that a proprietary solution is in some cases better. There's more examples than graphics drivers, but I won't go into them, not relevant. Your point was that "proprietary is shit, it's that simple". Now you're acknowledging that open drivers are missing something. Does not seem that "simple" anymore, does it?

    But do troll on.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
    You should inform yourself better. Nvidia has had modesetting in the kernel since way before KMS existed. (cue the predictable "how come there's no high-res console then" - that's about something different from modesetting, search the forums, I've had this discussion before already).

    Then, the processor you're using in your machine is also a "highly tuned consumer product". Same for the hard-drive and other components. So, how does it feel to be an "arse kissing" consumer?

    The radeon driver isn't in any better position. But whatever the reasons - fact is that a proprietary solution is in some cases better. There's more examples than graphics drivers, but I won't go into them, not relevant. Your point was that "proprietary is shit, it's that simple". Now you're acknowledging that open drivers are missing something. Does not seem that "simple" anymore, does it?

    But do troll on.
    fuck off dickhead!

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    55

    Default The key

    Eldersnake said: "Microsoft wants people to to think this way and be utterly dependant on their products; we all know about that lovely thing called vendor lock-in. And that troubles me."

    Yes, that's the key. One of the best ways to get money from customers is keeping them captive, not letting them choose later. It's like the first "free dose" from drug dealers, they make it easy to get in, but very difficult to get out. That wouldn't happen if people thought about long term.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D0pamine View Post
    fuck off dickhead!
    Ah, the crux of internet debate.


  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
    Ah, the crux of internet debate.

    what debate - you're just translating keystrokes into bullshit in order to preserve your world view

    you mentioned that nvidia had modesetting before kms? are you referring to uvesafb? this had nothing to do with nvidia or anyone from nvidia - this was the work of a very clever gentoo developer who goes by the name spock

    as for hardware yes i do 'consume' hardware however i do not wave a flag supporting <insert corporate giant> out of some mental deficiency. I use hardware in ways that might not necessarily be as how the manufacturer intended it to be used. For me to alter how hardware is used I must have the source code for the software and if i'm using closed sourced software I cannot change the software to suit my needs by definition

    the fact that some gpu manufacturers choose not to publish details on how their hardware works cripples development of free drivers so blame <insert corporate giant> instead of frequenting an open sourced leaning forum and having a typing argument about the virtues of closed sourced software.... and YOU call me a troll? hahaha you dick-taster!

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nth_man View Post
    Eldersnake said: "Microsoft wants people to to think this way and be utterly dependant on their products; we all know about that lovely thing called vendor lock-in. And that troubles me."

    Yes, that's the key. One of the best ways to get money from customers is keeping them captive, not letting them choose later. It's like the first "free dose" from drug dealers, they make it easy to get in, but very difficult to get out. That wouldn't happen if people thought about long term.
    Yea, that's literally the whole idea behind Microsoft DreamSpark.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D0pamine View Post
    you mentioned that nvidia had modesetting before kms? are you referring to uvesafb?
    Dude, your ignorance is showing. Might wanna look into that. No, I'm not talking about uvesafb.

    You're completely ignorant, and yet you feel you're in the position to call others "mentally deficient" and other colorful phrases. So yeah, I do call you a troll. Because it's what you are. You've got nothing. Except colorful expressions.

    (cue another post with even more colorful expressions. come on, let it all out...)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •