Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 55

Thread: LibreOffice 4.0 Alpha 1 Is Freed For Testing

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    Sun Microsystems got bankrupted for a good reason. While it did good hardware, it sucked a lot at creating desktop software, it simply wrote incredibly bloated and silly code - that's what I came to realize the last few years while reading random posts, and especially those related to improving LibreOffice, like this one recently. No wonder MS Office won over OpenOffice a decade ago since the competition was so lazy and out of touch with reality.
    It was about control. Sun Microsystem was reluctant to give autonomy to then OpenOffice team and often refused patches provided by community outside their zone.

  2. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    Indeed, ribbon was just a plain bad idea from day one and has prevented many people from making the jump to newer versions of MS Office.

    I think the interface in LibreOffice is sound as it already is, but it could use a bit of cleanup in the look and feel department.
    I don't talk about a voluntary switch, in offices you just have to go with the wills of the IT Guys who go on buying expensives MSO licenses. So workers are forced to use it. Once they "get used" to it, they want the same at home (I was asked to at least 15 times when I repair computers. Silly...).

    Personnaly ribbon is not a problem : I already use a lot of keyboard shortcuts so at least half of the functions I use day-to-day is already known, and also usable in LO. But not all people, and as soon as they get used to MS Ribbonffice, they get some trouble to find their way through "old-style" UI, and so in LO.

    Talking about java dependencies, when can I find the state of the clean-up ? I really hope they can get this finished soon.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    [...]No wonder MS Office won over OpenOffice a decade ago since the competition was so lazy and out of touch with reality.
    why a decade ago? A decade ago MS had already a marketshare with office suite software surely greater than 80%.

    MS has also the advantage of owning the mainstream OS. Years ago and maybe even today Microsoft gives benefits to big computer and notebook resellers if they include MS Office on their computers. Until a few years ago it was normal that most computers were sold with Microsoft Word or MS Works.

    Government authorities and many corporations could save much money if they replaced MS products with Open Source software. Example: Linux brings over €10 million savings for Munich
    LiMux on wikipedia
    The authorities in Munich migrated to Linux and Open Office and saved in one year over €10 million. Window + MS Office would have cost over €34 million, their LiMux route costs €23 million in the same time.

    Authorities in Russia and Iceland also migrating to Open Source:
    Russia to switch to open source by 2015
    Icelandic government prepares switch to open source
    Last edited by Fenrin; 11-26-2012 at 06:24 AM.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
    Don't you need a plugin for that? At least with some older versions of Word?
    MS Office can handle ODF files since MS Office 2007. The current MSO release has full ODF 1.2 compatibility.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    519

    Default

    Still no 1-click table management.

    Still no 1-cllick image management

    Still no vertical centralization of text

    Still no auto-paragraphing

    Auto-correct is still a joke.

    PDF-editing is still a joke.


    Microsoft. Office 2013, now. Shut up and take my money.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    206

    Default Hmm

    Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    S and especially those related to improving LibreOffice, like this one recently. No wonder MS Office won over OpenOffice a decade ago since the competition was so lazy and out of touch with reality.
    Probably the real reason is OpenOffice was done in a cross-platform way in the mid-1990, when there were no true cross-platform libraries available - so they did everything by their own - including writing their own user interface toolkit!. Until MS which has a huge budget on Office, however, nobody found the time and money to refactor it as time went by.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    157

    Default Promote Libreoffice using its native format

    Always save your files using the open format, instead of exporting to Microsoft's. If someone complains, point them to libreoffice.org

    Not everyone can justify spending 500$ in ms office (plus 120$ for OS), but everyone can have Libreoffice installed, even if you don't use it; just open the .odt in libreoffice then copy/paste the contents to your dreaded ribbon app. Make sure you reverse the process if you want others to view your documents.

    You can't just demand everyone to purchase MS Office, but installing Libreoffice is a couple of clicks away...

    When emailing, attach your files using the open format, with a link to libreoffice.org. Stop exporting to Microsoft's to make your voice heard, and help spread Libreoffice this way so next time your .odt file opens properly in their machine.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis3 View Post
    Always save your files using the open format, instead of exporting to Microsoft's. If someone complains, point them to libreoffice.org

    Not everyone can justify spending 500$ in ms office (plus 120$ for OS), but everyone can have Libreoffice installed, even if you don't use it; just open the .odt in libreoffice then copy/paste the contents to your dreaded ribbon app. Make sure you reverse the process if you want others to view your documents.

    You can't just demand everyone to purchase MS Office, but installing Libreoffice is a couple of clicks away...

    When emailing, attach your files using the open format, with a link to libreoffice.org. Stop exporting to Microsoft's to make your voice heard, and help spread Libreoffice this way so next time your .odt file opens properly in their machine.
    Indeed. There is also the LibreOffice Portable project for Windows, so others do not even need to worry about keeping their PCs clean. In my case, it is also extremely useful when giving presentations, as it guarantees that the ODP files will be displayed correctly, while it can sit on a USB disk.

    Oh, and that said, MS does provide viewers for Excel and Word files free of charge, but then they also require Windows to run, so... And yes, they do not work correctly on Wine, either.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis3 View Post
    Not everyone can justify spending 500$ in ms office (plus 120$ for OS)
    http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Offi...dp/B00337D8U6/

    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-System.../dp/B0094NY3R0

    But please, don't let facts get in the way of your rants.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by locovaca View Post
    But please, don't let facts get in the way of your rants.
    $150 and $140 are hardly better numbers, you know.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •