Thread: Qt Creator 2.7 Nears Official Release

Default Qt Creator 2.7 Nears Official Release

Phoronix: Qt Creator 2.7 Nears Official Release

Digia is getting ready to make available the official release of Qt Creator 2.7...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMyMDU

Qt Creator is a blast to develop C++ in! Even if you're not doing anything at all Qt related.
    You don't even have to use qmake as it supports eg. cmake as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancurio View Post
    Qt Creator is a blast to develop C++ in! Even if you're not doing anything at all Qt related.
    You don't even have to use qmake as it supports eg. cmake as well.
    Automake too. In fact, you can have your own build system altogether and still use Creator to work on your project.

Default tabs

Does it support tabs or not yet?

Quote Originally Posted by rvalles View Post
    Does it support tabs or not yet?
    It uses its own way of having multiple editors open. Not using tabs was a conscious decision. IMO the way it does it is better than tabs.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    It uses its own way of having multiple editors open. Not using tabs was a conscious decision. IMO the way it does it is better than tabs.
    In short, it ignores well-proven and popular UI elements people are used to and instead forces the developers' strange ways into the user, with no option to have tabs even when it would be trivial to provide so.

No, I don't think I'm even considering QtCreator.

I do however wish you the best of luck.
    Last edited by rvalles; 03-08-2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: typo

I was using KDevelop before, for many years (was using it way before KDE4 was even thought of.) Creator's way of doing this was strange at first, but now I can't live without it. Tabs seem to clutter the UI now, especially since I went from a 5:4 monitor to a 16:9 one, where suddenly vertical space is at a premium. Tabs are also slower to navigate compared to the compact, vertically layout editor list Creator uses.

I used both for a very long time, and I find Creator's method just better in every respect.

I've been messing with it the past few days, mostly because I want to pick up Qt. It is indeed nice.

I totally forgot about tabs while using it, but I wasn't really doing anything. It also has exhaustive Qt documentation built-in, which is great.

And tutorials. Really really good tutorials.

Quote Originally Posted by rvalles View Post
    In short, it ignores well-proven and popular UI elements people are used to and instead forces the developers' strange ways into the user, with no option to have tabs even when it would be trivial to provide so.

No, I don't think I'm even considering QtCreator.

I do however wish you the best of luck.
    Actually, now that you mention it, it does indeed not have tabs.. I have never even realized that during all those months.
    Thank deity for that thought, because I can't imagine navigating the cluttered mess that are tabs in e.g. Geany or Mousepad.
    Of course, if displaying horizontal objects (like filenames) in a vertical manner, the way it's done in every filemanager to date,
    is considered a "strange way" by you, then I'd see why you'd feel at home with a cluttered tab view. =P