Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: The PengPod Linux Tablet Is Becoming A Reality

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    4,968

    Default

    I completely agree on the need for an ARM board with standard interfaces and mounting holes. The only one so far I know of is Via's APC.

    I guess the would-be users of such a thing just aren't a big enough market.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    I completely agree on the need for an ARM board with standard interfaces and mounting holes. The only one so far I know of is Via's APC.

    I guess the would-be users of such a thing just aren't a big enough market.
    Well i disagree in the two points:

    VIA APC doesn't use the Mini-ITX standard but Neo-ITX standard....i don't even know of anyone that makes standard cases for it...

    Many of the Mini-ITX owners use then for HTPC , Web Surf, NAS, simple office tasks and even for very light gaming....

    All those tasks could be done with a lower price and lower power drain ARM-based Mini-ITX board.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    598

    Default

    PS: ...as for lack of interest , VIA sold in some days all production of the APC....look to the interest in ODROID-X(2) , CubieBoard, etc.....a proper ARM solution using a proper standard and connections for CPU and RAM would sell as hotcakes...

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    4,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJSB View Post
    Well i disagree in the two points:

    VIA APC doesn't use the Mini-ITX standard but Neo-ITX standard....i don't even know of anyone that makes standard cases for it...
    Neo-ITX is fully compatible with the larger standards.

    So you can put it in a Mini-ITX case, Micro-ATX case, or even a full ATX case. The only thing you lose by going with a Mini-ITX case vs a native Neo-ITX case is some size, which at these levels doesn't really matter.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    209

    Default

    allwinner a10 with that price, meh! overpriced!
    I'll try to snap an odroid u

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Neo-ITX is fully compatible with the larger standards.

    So you can put it in a Mini-ITX case, Micro-ATX case, or even a full ATX case. The only thing you lose by going with a Mini-ITX case vs a native Neo-ITX case is some size, which at these levels doesn't really matter.
    Fully compatible ?!?

    Well two of the four mounting holes might be compatible but the other two aren't for sure, they are clearly spaced in a different way than a Mini-ITX.

    Here are pics taken from below of a VIA APC....

    http://liliputing.wpengine.netdna-cd.../05/apc_03.jpg

    ...and from a typical Mini-ITX motherboard....

    http://www.zotac.com/components/com_...800x600%5D.jpg

    Clearly only two mounting holes are compatible.

    Of course that you can that you can install yourself some standoffs...

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    4,968

    Default

    Good point, I don't have one myself, I went by their official information.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •