Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon HyperZ R300g Performance

Phoronix: Radeon HyperZ R300g Performance

With Marek Ol??k having fixed-up the R300 Gallium3D HyperZ support and then finally enabling this performance-boosting technology by default for the vintage Radeon X1000 (R500) series graphics cards, new benchmarks were conducted to look at the performance impact of ATI HyperZ finally being flipped on in this legacy ATI Linux graphics driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

These are very positive results. It's worth remembering that even more could be gained from HyperZ than what is shown here if other performance aspects are improved... if my understanding is correct.

Comment

And the other point is...

... that HyperZ now works for all of these different applications!

Comment

It's worth remembering that even more could be gained from HyperZ

Comment

Wow! This should make Radeon X1000-series users happy. All 20 of them

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Wow! This should make Radeon X1000-series users happy. All 20 of them
            You would be surprised, that for many X1000 is just enough. This commits make X1000, the most supported legacy GPU. Even Intel don't provide that much support for legacy GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
              You would be surprised, that for many X1000 is just enough. This commits make X1000, the most supported legacy GPU. Even Intel don't provide that much support for legacy GPUs.
              I doubt users left with such old cards are using them for any 3D intensive work. But it's nice that the feature can be used, no doubt about that.
              As far as legacy GPUs are concerned, the latest driver for nvidia FX5000 series was released just two months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                Intel recently updated 815, I still use that and I am really thankful for this.

Comment

I have an X16?? and am very pleased with the large amount of support in the open source driver.
                  After this is integrated we can point at the driver and say that this is what can be achieved in open source.
                  Well written software open for everyone to fix and improve things until it's usable and everyone is pleased.
                  Not forced into some model of some company. If the company does not want to do the work that's okay because the company does not have to.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                    I have an X16?? and am very pleased with the large amount of support in the open source driver.
                    After this is integrated we can point at the driver and say that this is what can be achieved in open source.
                    Well written software open for everyone to fix and improve things until it's usable and everyone is pleased.
                    Not forced into some model of some company. If the company does not want to do the work that's okay because the company does not have to.
                    So you enjoy buying hardware and then settle for zero support from the manufacturer, hoping some guys with a hobby will eventually enable you to use it? That could be an option, but in this case AMD should be charging a lot less for their cards if support is not included.

Comment

Working...
                    X