Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Radeon HyperZ R300g Performance

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,601

    Default Radeon HyperZ R300g Performance

    Phoronix: Radeon HyperZ R300g Performance

    With Marek Olk having fixed-up the R300 Gallium3D HyperZ support and then finally enabling this performance-boosting technology by default for the vintage Radeon X1000 (R500) series graphics cards, new benchmarks were conducted to look at the performance impact of ATI HyperZ finally being flipped on in this legacy ATI Linux graphics driver.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18234

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Perth, Scotland
    Posts
    435

    Default

    These are very positive results. It's worth remembering that even more could be gained from HyperZ than what is shown here if other performance aspects are improved... if my understanding is correct.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    442

    Cool And the other point is...

    ... that HyperZ now works for all of these different applications!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default

    It's worth remembering that even more could be gained from HyperZ

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Wow! This should make Radeon X1000-series users happy. All 20 of them

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Russe, Bulgaria
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bug77 View Post
    Wow! This should make Radeon X1000-series users happy. All 20 of them
    You would be surprised, that for many X1000 is just enough. This commits make X1000, the most supported legacy GPU. Even Intel don't provide that much support for legacy GPUs.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    You would be surprised, that for many X1000 is just enough. This commits make X1000, the most supported legacy GPU. Even Intel don't provide that much support for legacy GPUs.
    I doubt users left with such old cards are using them for any 3D intensive work. But it's nice that the feature can be used, no doubt about that.
    As far as legacy GPUs are concerned, the latest driver for nvidia FX5000 series was released just two months ago.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    You would be surprised, that for many X1000 is just enough. This commits make X1000, the most supported legacy GPU. Even Intel don't provide that much support for legacy GPUs.
    Intel recently updated 815, I still use that and I am really thankful for this.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    459

    Default

    I have an X16?? and am very pleased with the large amount of support in the open source driver.
    After this is integrated we can point at the driver and say that this is what can be achieved in open source.
    Well written software open for everyone to fix and improve things until it's usable and everyone is pleased.
    Not forced into some model of some company. If the company does not want to do the work that's okay because the company does not have to.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plonoma View Post
    I have an X16?? and am very pleased with the large amount of support in the open source driver.
    After this is integrated we can point at the driver and say that this is what can be achieved in open source.
    Well written software open for everyone to fix and improve things until it's usable and everyone is pleased.
    Not forced into some model of some company. If the company does not want to do the work that's okay because the company does not have to.
    So you enjoy buying hardware and then settle for zero support from the manufacturer, hoping some guys with a hobby will eventually enable you to use it? That could be an option, but in this case AMD should be charging a lot less for their cards if support is not included.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •