Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: New MIPS Architecture Does Virtualization, SIMD

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,335

    Default New MIPS Architecture Does Virtualization, SIMD

    Phoronix: New MIPS Architecture Does Virtualization, SIMD

    MIPS Release 5 was announced today as a new MIPS processor architecture that encompasses MIPS32, MIPS64, and microMIPS instruction set architectures. MIPS "R5" brings in two years of work to deliver new processor features...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI0NDU

  2. #2

    Default

    This is odd. Is it me or does it sound like they're just now starting to catch-up with many of ARM's features? I would've thought many of those features would already exist on MIPS, considering MIPS has been used for supercomputers and whatnot.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,006

    Default Nice

    Nice to see that MIPS is still being developed.

    Too bad MIPS is a proprietary architecture and not open souce and royalty-free.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Nice to see that MIPS is still being developed.

    Too bad MIPS is a proprietary architecture and not open souce and royalty-free.
    Don't think it matters much. Well at least until the point someone can make chips in his garage/basement. Free software became that big because the only investment you have to make is personal time. HW on the other hand requires quite a lot of money.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    Don't think it matters much. Well at least until the point someone can make chips in his garage/basement. Free software became that big because the only investment you have to make is personal time. HW on the other hand requires quite a lot of money.
    Even so, I still would prefer an free and open architecture.

    I dream of a computer 100% free open source, not only the operating system, but everything. The motherboard, the CPU, the case, everything. CAD files, schemata, drawings, pinouts, charts, firmware, source code, everything.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Even so, I still would prefer an free and open architecture.

    I dream of a computer 100% free open source, not only the operating system, but everything. The motherboard, the CPU, the case, everything. CAD files, schemata, drawings, pinouts, charts, firmware, source code, everything.
    MIPS is open-source. You apy the fee and get the source. I see nothing wrong with commercial part. Good work in fair quantity has to be paid. If you want to see totally royalty-free core, take a look at opencores.org .

    I just wish AMD took MIPS instead an ARM route...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •