Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 177

Thread: Richard Stallman Calls Ubuntu "Spyware"

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Funny how that goes Without a free compiler, toolchain, and editor there likely wouldn't be a free OS for you to use today. If that's not "getting things done", I don't know what is.
    Indeed! The lack of perspective here is overwhelming.

    RMS did three major things. He didn't do them alone, but was the driving force behind them, and without him, we wouldn't have them:

    - Emacs
    - GCC and the rest of the GNU toolchain
    - GPL

    The first one is not important to everyone. The third one made Linux and everything around it possible, the second one was what made Linux and all the BSDs and everything Apple does today possible.

    If someone doesn't like his hairstyle or his opinions, fine, knock yourself out. But talking about how he is not doing the "real things" for "the people"? He is 60 years old now, FFS, he did the "real things" that make everything you touch today possible, and he did them 30 years ago. Now he's a Free Software advocate, a movement he started, and which began as a couple of command-line tools, and which now runs most supercomputers, as well as providing software for almost everything anyone would ever want to do on a programmable computer.

    If somebody doesn't see this, there is no helping them. Go ahead and hate him, I don't care, and neither does he.

  2. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post

    - Emacs
    - GCC and the rest of the GNU toolchain
    - GPL
    Don't go ruining a good fanboy rant with facts, what has he done for us lately?

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rudolph_steinberg View Post
    Don't go ruining a good fanboy rant with facts, what has he done for us lately?
    Yes, absolutely. Instead of rolling up our sleeves and attacking the problems of our generation ourselves (like RMS did in his time), we should sit here and moan and bitch so RMS keeps solving all our problems until he is 100.

    Because if a 60-year old pioneer who almost single-handedly started the movement that gave us all our software doesn't create a slick product to compete with teh Apple and teh Mikrosoft, then "we" will shower him with ridicule because he, the 60-year-old man has not himself rewritten all the firmware in the world. I mean, he only re-wrote Unix (with lots of other people, of course). But today's kids are not easy to please. No, he must rewrite the firmware of my new Lexus, otherwise the kids will hate him, because the kids today are spoilt brats.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Vigo, Spain
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Yes, absolutely. Instead of rolling up our sleeves and attacking the problems of our generation ourselves (like RMS did in his time), we should sit here and moan and bitch so RMS keeps solving all our problems until he is 100.

    Because if a 60-year old pioneer who almost single-handedly started the movement that gave us all our software doesn't create a slick product to compete with teh Apple and teh Mikrosoft, then "we" will shower him with ridicule because he, the 60-year-old man has not himself rewritten all the firmware in the world. I mean, he only re-wrote Unix (with lots of other people, of course). But today's kids are not easy to please. No, he must rewrite the firmware of my new Lexus, otherwise the kids will hate him, because the kids today are spoilt brats.
    Yes, he deserves respect, even if we think he is wrong and we see he doesn't respect others.

  5. #85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Yes, absolutely. Instead of rolling up our sleeves and attacking the problems of our generation ourselves (like RMS did in his time), we should sit here and moan and bitch so RMS keeps solving all our problems until he is 100.

    Because if a 60-year old pioneer who almost single-handedly started the movement that gave us all our software doesn't create a slick product to compete with teh Apple and teh Mikrosoft, then "we" will shower him with ridicule because he, the 60-year-old man has not himself rewritten all the firmware in the world. I mean, he only re-wrote Unix (with lots of other people, of course). But today's kids are not easy to please. No, he must rewrite the firmware of my new Lexus, otherwise the kids will hate him, because the kids today are spoilt brats.
    I think your sarcasm detector isn't working, mate... Although I appreciate your spirit.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rudolph_steinberg View Post
    I think your sarcasm detector isn't working, mate...
    Err, I think yours isn't.

    I was just continuing my rant

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peperoni View Post
    I The problem, in my opinion is that those kind of strategies are legal. I think it should be ilegal to share even statistical data. But while they continue being legal, though unethical, I think it's unfair to blame some companies for using that kind of strategies
    Huh? Are you seriously saying it is "unfair" to point out when companies are being unethical? No has claimed what they are doing is illegal, no one is claiming they should be prosecuted for anything. All anyone claimed is that what they are doing is unethical and that some people don't like it when companies act in an unethical manner. What is wrong with that? What is the point of even having the concept of ethics if we aren't allowed to criticize someone for being unethical?

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Let us pray.

    Hail Stallman, full of indignation.
    Our copy is left with thee.
    Noisy art thou among the hirsute,
    and invisible is the fruit of thy code,
    Hurd.
    Stubborn Richard, father of GNU,
    chill-out for us Linuxers,
    now and at the cron of our tab.
    Kmen.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Indeed! The lack of perspective here is overwhelming.

    RMS did three major things. He didn't do them alone, but was the driving force behind them, and without him, we wouldn't have them:

    - Emacs
    - GCC and the rest of the GNU toolchain
    - GPL

    The first one is not important to everyone. The third one made Linux and everything around it possible, the second one was what made Linux and all the BSDs and everything Apple does today possible.

    If someone doesn't like his hairstyle or his opinions, fine, knock yourself out. But talking about how he is not doing the "real things" for "the people"? He is 60 years old now, FFS, he did the "real things" that make everything you touch today possible, and he did them 30 years ago. Now he's a Free Software advocate, a movement he started, and which began as a couple of command-line tools, and which now runs most supercomputers, as well as providing software for almost everything anyone would ever want to do on a programmable computer.

    If somebody doesn't see this, there is no helping them. Go ahead and hate him, I don't care, and neither does he.
    Very very well said. Thank you.

    I'm sure there are many areas I'd disagree with Stallman (also many I agree with too), but I cannot help but respect the man. It cannot be denied what he and those that worked with him did.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by energyman View Post
    since people know about it and help making it work right, spyware is not the correct term. Because 'spying' is a covert activity.
    WE know about it, but I would say 80% of ubuntu users know nothing about all of this.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •