Thread: Radeon On Linux 3.8: Minor For Now, New Code Coming

Hybrid View

Default Radeon On Linux 3.8: Minor For Now, New Code Coming

Phoronix: Radeon On Linux 3.8: Minor For Now, New Code Coming

Alex Deucher of AMD emailed in a pull request on Friday afternoon for the Radeon graphics driver that will end up as part of the DRM pull for the Linux 3.8 kernel...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI0NTg

As far as the minor highlights of this pull request, there's support for ELD registers for passing audio information to sound hardware
    This mean TrueHD/DTS-HD MA/multichannel LPCM bitstreaming support?

Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    This mean TrueHD/DTS-HD MA/multichannel LPCM bitstreaming support?
    Yes, that's exactly what it means. But we still need to add the matching support on the alsa side.

Default BS as ever

i'm damn sure this news has nothing to do with realworld performance... still the opensource amd graphics will lag miles behind the propriatary catalyst. i'm running propriatry catalyst on e-350 on windows 7 and the very latest open source amd graphics (kernel 3.6 + mesa 9 + drm 2.40) on linux, in a dual boot system. open source is so damn bad, shoddy and inefficient that it's no more an option at all....

@mammath:

Just keep this pseudo knowledge for yourself. You did not understand a single word of what this commit brings for OSS using people.

@Deathsimple:
    Thank you very much for getting these registers out and for staying on track. Thank you!

fritsch, perhaps you did not get the point. very sad.

i know the latest development will bring much difference to radeon open source graphhics. no doubt about it. but when compared to catalyst (feature, power usage and performance) it'll still lag miles behind.
    fyi, i've using using amd, intel and nvidia platforms for quite a long. and i know the pace of amd's open source endeavors, catalyst always takes lead in big leaps. imo, amd open source is just a hype and false good will seeking effort.

intel = best in open source graphics
    nvidia = no opensource efforts, but the propriatary drivers are very good on linux platform
    amd = shoddy open source graphics + shoddy implementation of catalyst

only fools would use open source amd graphics drivers....

please consider drivers, firmware, and other opensource/propriatary software as tools, not as a cult or religion. performance, stability, power usage and usability matters most to the users where amd fails in both open source and proprietary. amd doesn't give a damn to the open source but anyways its propriatry graphics work better than amd's. hope you got my point.
    Last edited by manmath; 12-08-2012 at 05:14 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsimple View Post
    Yes, that's exactly what it means. But we still need to add the matching support on the alsa side.
    That's awesome! I can't wait for HD audio support. Any idea where someone could watch for progress on this front?

AMD starts pushing stuff for the "real" 8000 series.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...a74d81930d0e72
    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...7c01a5fb227bda

For now it's mainly the PCI IDs for the OLAND family, but it seems they are preparing for more.