Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 76

Thread: Gabe Talks More About Valve's Next-Gen Linux Console

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by diriel View Post
    That Valve has a team of engineers right? At least one of those engineers has game controller experience. When Gabe said controlled ecosystem, perhaps he meant his engineers would Make The Needed Peripherals?
    I hope that their venture will benefit the kernel in areas that not many people cared about ie. controllers. It would also be nice if you can use their console as a regular desktop PC. Boot in game mode >> play steam boot in PC mode >> do whatever.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Well, dunno, when I connect my XBOX360 gamepad in Linux, it starts blinking and never stops. All 4 leds. Annoying as hell. If they can't fix even that, what would make me think that Linux is actually in a position to attract gamers.
    Maybe different gamepad? Or better download drivers from microsoft?

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    Just like how OS X is now a super successful gaming platform after Steam was launched there, right?

    I mean, sure, there are actually more games on OS X now. Steam had a positive impact. OS X is still nowhere close to dethroning Windows as the PC gaming platform of choice, but OS X users have a lot more options to have fun these days than they used to. Linux will likewise see a positive impact from Steam, but it will continue to be missing large swaths of the best games available, just like OS X.
    Unlike OSX, Linux works with hardware that doesn't cost 4 digit numbers, is user-upgradable, etc.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Well, dunno, when I connect my XBOX360 gamepad in Linux, it starts blinking and never stops. All 4 leds. Annoying as hell. If they can't fix even that, what would make me think that Linux is actually in a position to attract gamers.
    Mine works great using both the inline kernel driver and the and the user-space one. Though I do vaguely remember reading about users having problems with the kernel driver, the user-space one is really great, I use it because it allows me to arbitrarily remap buttons on the controller.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Old Europe
    Posts
    930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milyardo View Post
    Mine works great using both the inline kernel driver and the and the user-space one. Though I do vaguely remember reading about users having problems with the kernel driver, the user-space one is really great, I use it because it allows me to arbitrarily remap buttons on the controller.
    I bought an XBox 360 controller (wired) recently and it works like charm.
    Way better gamepad than the old Logitech crap I had before.

  6. #36

    Default

    Why is Phoronix so convinved it won't be locked down when all other websites including the original that spoke to him show Gabe clearly stating it will be locked down.

    Liam of GamingOnLinux.com

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    It would also be nice if you can use their console as a regular desktop PC. Boot in game mode >> play steam boot in PC mode >> do whatever.
    And how exactly would that be different from a regular dual-boot PC?.. If there was a switch for that that does not require a reboot,t hen yes, it would be interesting.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liamdawe View Post
    Why is Phoronix so convinved it won't be locked down when all other websites including the original that spoke to him show Gabe clearly stating it will be locked down.

    Liam of GamingOnLinux.com
    The Valve steambox hardware will be locked down, which probably means you're not going to be easily be able to install a different distro. However, that doesn't mean all the software needed to build your own won't be readily available too. I have a feeling we're going to be seeing binary drivers, but it really depends. Valve is in an interesting position where they want to be releasing next year. None of the solutions stand out, so it'll be interesting who they give the nod to for their steam box, and I have no doubt the software will play a big part in their decision.

  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liamdawe View Post
    Why is Phoronix so convinved it won't be locked down when all other websites including the original that spoke to him show Gabe clearly stating it will be locked down.

    Liam of GamingOnLinux.com
    I think most are missing a key point they could be making. That While the box may be as locked down hardware wise as any console Valve may see an opportunity to gain allot of extra cash and content by including everything you could need to develop games for the SteamBox on the SteamBox.

    Having even 1 in every 500~1000 people who own a SteamBox making their own $5~10 game would be a cashcow for Valve.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jhansonxi View Post
    Unfortunately many Linux games don't support gamepads well. Analog devices were basically useless but even USB devices had broken functionality. I tried a USB gamepad in Trine but couldn't aim with the thief.
    The aim for the thief needs to be linked to an analog stick. That's the key there. If your analog stick isn't working as expected, look for a little switch on the controller that flips from digital to analog. My Logitech rumblepads have this.

    No problems at all beating Trine and Trine 2, playing together with my sister using two gamepads.. Although I admit, I played it under Windows as my gaming PC with 2x Watercooled GTX 470s runs Windows.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •